Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I appreciate all the help thus far and the great publication by Benza. I am trying to get all the parts to add an Eclipse AVN5435 to my non-MCS, bose only 1999 ML 430. I have purchased the three euro parts: gerate adapter, can bus adapter, and can adapter plug.

My first question; Can I purchase and successfully use the stock antenna with an aftermarket head unit? I see that I would need the splitter/amplifier and cable. Will the factory cable work with aftermarket units in terms of connection? How is the factory cable terminated to connect to the MCS? Is * the only source for these parts?

Second Question; I see that the gerate adapter plugs into the MCS (per Benza's publication). Since I will not be using the MCS should I use a wiring harness (like the one sold on * for $20.00) to connect the gerate adapter to my Eclipse headunit?

Final question; In order to properly retain the bose sound with an aftermarket headunit will I need an impedance matcher? (again, * sells one for like $100) Would this cable connect after the wiring harness (connected to the gerate adapter) but before the Eclipse unit?

Thanks for your expertise gentleman. I wanted to talk to the people who know these cars inside and out before I begin.

If anyone has any other tips, suggestions, and or sources please don't hesitate to interject. (I always reserve the right to learn!!)

Tyler Mueller

·
Registered
2001 ML 55AMG
1,158 Posts
If you are installing the Eclipse AVN5435 the you don't need the EURO parts. Those are for an MCS system which you don't have if you are installing the Eclipse AVN5435. The Eclipse AVN5435 is a nice unit but for installation instructions on it I suggest you contact Eclipse or a local Radio Shop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Benza,

If I don't use the euro parts than how do I get the VSS signal? I thought that would be a necessity regardless of the headunit!?
Thanks,
Tyler

·
Registered
99' ML 430
24 Posts
Tyler, I believe you are correct. The only way a navigation unit of any kind can work correctly in an automobile is if it is receiving pulses from the VSS. Otherwise, the unit would not be able to gauge exactly where the car is in relation to its "Global Position" and therefore the unit would be in a *confused* state most of the time. (ie.. Updating position or the compass moving eratically)

I've never done an aftermarket Navi install, but do have a decent knowledge of GPS technology and know that you have to tap into the VSS for it to work correctly.

Whether you get that from the Euro Parts or via some special "VSS Cable" I'm not sure. But I would imagine the Euro parts would work with some kind of adapter or harness that goes from the Gerate Adapter to the back of your Alpine unit.

But like Benza said, I'm sure your local shop that installs them may be able to help.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
tmueller - 4/11/2005 10:27 AM

Benza,

If I don't use the euro parts than how do I get the VSS signal? I thought that would be a necessity regardless of the headunit!?
Thanks,
Tyler
You buy the harness for your car that brings the VSS signal to the back of the radio. The early models had an extension harness for this purpose. If your car has not had this fitted (as I am going by the 1999 statement) then it will be specific for your car.

Later models have the complete wiring needed and there are approx. 5 different types of inboard harness sold for the purpose mentioned so I cant state any generic part numbers.

You may be lucky and not need anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information thus far.

miroj - I am not exactly clear with your last statement regarding harnesses. Are you referring to an aftermarket style wiring harness, MB harness or something else? My impression was that the 99 did not have a VSS and therefore getting the signal to the unit would be necessary for proper operation. It sounds like you are saying there is a harness that will do this "automatically" without the aid of the euro parts on a 1999.?

I appreciate the help.

Tyler Mueller

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
tmueller - 4/11/2005 9:21 PM

miroj - I am not exactly clear with your last statement regarding harnesses. Are you referring to an aftermarket style wiring harness, MB harness or something else? My impression was that the 99 did not have a VSS and therefore getting the signal to the unit would be necessary for proper operation. It sounds like you are saying there is a harness that will do this "automatically" without the aid of the euro parts on a 1999.?

I appreciate the help.

Tyler Mueller
Tyler,
As Benza mentioned, you should contact Eclipse or a dealer of Eclipse and ask how. Eclipse is solely sold as after market - not factory - so they must have a wealth of specs on adapters etc for different cars or they wouldn't sell any :)

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,033 Posts
tmueller - 4/11/2005 9:21 PM

The 1999 is in the facelift time. It may have a VSS or it may not. It may have a GPS cable it may not.

There are two types of major GPS connection for the antenna. There is APS (wiclic) and there is COMAND (HRS). Some other brands use different types of connections and there is an adaptor for that.

All of these options and functions are MB parts and there is certainly a VSS signal in the ML.

·
Registered
2001 ML 55AMG
1,158 Posts
As I mentioned before the EURO Parts are a plug and play for the MCS system not for aftermarket. IMO your spinning your wheels if you use them because you would then need an adapter for an adapter to use them. As Roadsession mentioned they must make the correct adapter or wireing diagram to connect the Eclipse or they wouldn't sell any. Contact Eclipse or just go to a local Eclipse dealer for installation. They will hook up your VSS and it will work. Others have done this Mod in their ML without the EURO parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts