Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Experiences in driving an SL 107

I hesitated in writing this, but with the interest in the subject, vis-a-vis the daily driving thread, I thought I'd burn a few bytes in homage.

For the first several years of ownership, my 107 was relegated to weekend/vacation use, primarily to car shows and other outings. Annual mileage was less than 2k miles, with long respites in a detached garage which doubles as my workshop. Typically, the HT would go on at Thanksgiving, and be removed at Easter. If a top was needed during the haircut months, the soft top would be pressed into service. Trips rarely exceeded 60 miles, and were combined highway and local, rural roads.

As fortunes have changed, for the last 5 months I have had to press the ole 107 into more or less daily driving, mostly local, and more stop-and-go than it has seen in the last 5 years. Thru it all, I have been very pleased in the daily driving experience. With the installation of a hard top hoist recently, I have had the luxury of increased usage of the hard top on the car. I hate to admit it, but I really do enjoy the hard top experience of this car almost as much as "roadster" mode. Obviously, for different reasons of course, but the hardhat makes it almost like having two separate cars (I can imagine the appeal of the SLC from this experience).

Most recently, thru the bitter cold (for NE Alabama) winter weather, I have driven in rain, sleet, snow, and sub-20degree nighttime weather in relative comfort. I am convinced these cars are meant to be used... and therefore enjoyed.

How the car is being used presently was never my intents when I purchased it, but I am glad to have had the experiences thus far.

Gentlemen... Start your engines... :)

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,900 Posts
When I drove my car first time, the excitement was so big that I had to open the sunroof. ;) I understood why all of SLC's have sunroof.
With age, the excitement has not impaired nor it lacked potency. Thus it's not driven in the rain (not because my rear windshield is leaking).

2yrs ago, when she came down under after a 45 day sailing across the Indian ocean (I flew), she became a daily driver for a good 6 months in less than average morning peak traffic... and I liked her even more.
We are preparing to be morning/evening rush hour buddies again... early next year. New work place.
In the last 8 years, she demanded only a new muffler, complaind of injectors - had them replaced and cried for new tyres - gave those too.
She wanted quite a few more parts but gave me the option to replace them someday... not on the side of the road.

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
Not an experience (yet) as much as an explanation

The 380SL I just bought is not my car, it is my wife's and I am only the mechanic. My wife is Ukrainian, and only learned to drive when she came here, at age 38, so her driving experience is limited relative to her age (let's say 40s). I have a passion for cars, really love roadsters in the British tradition and frankly would not have bought this car on my own (although I could see myself in a manual 280SL). My wife tired of driving her 300D and had been looking for "something new", but didn't want the expense of a new something fairly comparable to a 300D.

I am hoping that she enjoys this 380SL enough that she becomes more of an active participant in my hobby rather than a neutral or negative influence ( better to have her in the tent pissing out...). At the same time I hope I don't completely wreck the budget I have for the rest of the third world fleet.

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
The 380SL I just bought is not my car, it is my wife's and I am only the mechanic. My wife is Ukrainian, and only learned to drive when she came here, at age 38, so her driving experience is limited relative to her age (let's say 40s). I have a passion for cars, really love roadsters in the British tradition and frankly would not have bought this car on my own (although I could see myself in a manual 280SL). My wife tired of driving her 300D and had been looking for "something new", but didn't want the expense of a new something fairly comparable to a 300D.

I am hoping that she enjoys this 380SL enough that she becomes more of an active participant in my hobby rather than a neutral or negative influence ( better to have her in the tent pissing out...). At the same time I hope I don't completely wreck the budget I have for the rest of the third world fleet.

Tell her that, among other things, these were the type of car bought by a wealthy guy for his mistress. She just needs to hold up her end, by being the "beautiful, exotic, woman of mystery" type;). Who knows, she just may buy it, if you catch her in the right mood.:D At worst, she might just get a laugh out of it.:rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts