Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, moving along in the purchase process, I made an appointment via dealer website for a test drive of a C320 4MATIC Sedan and of a C240 Sedan 4MATIC (for comparison).

The dealer immediately responded via phone saying that we could do a test drive at the particular time and date. That's good.

When I then asked if he had the models that I had requested for testing, he had to look back through my website request before he knew what I had asked to test. That's bad.

Additionally, when he read the two models I had requested, he said that the 4MATICS for the C320 and C240 were "rare" cars. Translation = his prepping me to get ready and bend over? That would be bad.

What do you think of this? What has been your experience with sales folks at MB dealers?

- SonOfC320

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Depends on the dealer..

You might want to update your profile so as to indicate your location. This may allow other owners to help to recommend good dealers, sales personnel.

As for the 4matics, it is true that they are rare vehicles, therefore it might be not possible for you to test drive one as they are almost literally made to order. The good news is that there is very little drivability difference between the RWD and 4matic C-classes aside from the traction gains. The 4matics actually have better steering feel, IMHO (tighter, and heavier weighted). You may want to try out a C320 and a C240 RWD, if 4matics are not available, to give you a rough idea overall [:)]

Good luck!

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
another honest opinion

Son0f320, If I was you I will go ahead and test drive the vehicle that you like as long as you want and stop there, then start thinking which one you are going to take, then when your mind is set. Buy them thru internet..like what I did on my two purchases, My ML and my C320 sport sedan ETA late April. I didn't have to deal with the salesman in person, i told them what I want, and told me the price if I don't like it...sorry go find another dealer. I got a few hundred bucks below invoice on my new "C" [:D][:D][:D]and my smile is so big like these[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Depends on the dealer..

You might want to update your profile so as to indicate your location. This may allow other owners to help to recommend good dealers, sales personnel.

As for the 4matics, it is true that they are rare vehicles, therefore it might be not possible for you to test drive one as they are almost literally made to order. The good news is that there is very little drivability difference between the RWD and 4matic C-classes aside from the traction gains. The 4matics actually have better steering feel, IMHO (tighter, and heavier weighted). You may want to try out a C320 and a C240 RWD, if 4matics are not available, to give you a rough idea overall [:)]

Good luck!

4MATIC is the way to go for us here in the Northeast USA. If the drive of the 4MATICs prove to be less than positive, then we will probably not purchase MB at all.

I have a rear-drive german car already and no amount of sophistcated electronic handling is going to get you moving if that 1 rear wheel is on ice and/or the car is stopped in greater than 2.5 inches of snow. Snow tires would help, but what's the need for an semi-annual wheel shuffle? For everyday driving, front or all wheel drive is the way to go here for us.

My german rear wheel drive car mentioned above was supposed to be an all-wheel drive, but that's a whole other story.

[?] I am curious, based on other owners' experiences (Northeast USA or other), if the MB dealers will turn me off by their practices before I even really form any impressions of the product. Any positive or negative "sales guy" stories would be good.

- SonOfC320

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: another honest opinion

Son0f320, If I was you I will go ahead and test drive the vehicle that you like as long as you want and stop there, then start thinking which one you are going to take, then when your mind is set. Buy them thru internet..like what I did on my two purchases, My ML and my C320 sport sedan ETA late April. I didn't have to deal with the salesman in person, i told them what I want, and told me the price if I don't like it...sorry go find another dealer. I got a few hundred bucks below invoice on my new "C" [:D][:D][:D]and my smile is so big like these[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Great deal!!! Good for you. [:0] I hope that I'll have some similar success if I decide to buy.

When you say internet, do you mean requesting a quote through the specific dealers' websites, on the MB HQ's website, or other? Great idea. Let me know what you used. I was originally planning to go "old-school" and fax requests.

Thanks much.

- SonofC320

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
I've used Autobuytel.com for my ML and for my "C" is

Dealer Networking from my Credit Union.

other good source of internet sales are.
www.autoweb.com
www.carsdirect.com
www.newcars.com. all these site will send your request to participating dealer and if the dealer want your business they will work for your need. hope this help[:)][;)]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: I've used Autobuytel.com for my ML and for my "C" is

Dealer Networking from my Credit Union.

other good source of internet sales are.
www.autoweb.com
www.carsdirect.com
www.newcars.com. all these site will send your request to participating dealer and if the dealer want your business they will work for your need. hope this help[:)][;)]
JimB,

Yes, it does. I am also a member of some auto club that provides relationships with networked dealers. I'm going to give that a whirl and then go with your suggestions.

When you use the services of those that you mentioned, is the car sold to you or to the .com first and is there any additional lead time incurred?

Thanks very much. You guys are wealth of knowledge and experience.

- SonOfC320

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
Yes,the dealer sold directly to me, the only time...

that the website contacted you is when to ask for survey i.e. how's the dealership treated you. Of course some dealer are PITA so I gave them a poor grade, and for the dealer never stop responding to your email I gave them an outstanding grade. Not all the e-commerce sales will not agree to your price, but there a bunch of dealer in the area.[:)][;)]

·
Registered
E500 Sport
28 Posts
Re: Re: Depends on the dealer..

If you are in NYC, Manhattan Mercedes is the country's only company owned dealership. My impression of this dealership was that they appeared to be professional. However, I have never spoken to a car salesman who knew more about a car than I did after doing research.It is not that I am so sharp; it is more that they don't seem to love what they do. It seems more like a job. It is always a dissapointing experence.My advice is to analyze the brochure, the MBUSA website and read reviews. Go into the dealership with a good idea as to what you want and just have your reseached confirmed.

Good luck!

4MATIC is the way to go for us here in the Northeast USA. If the drive of the 4MATICs prove to be less than positive, then we will probably not purchase MB at all.

I have a rear-drive german car already and no amount of sophistcated electronic handling is going to get you moving if that 1 rear wheel is on ice and/or the car is stopped in greater than 2.5 inches of snow. Snow tires would help, but what's the need for an semi-annual wheel shuffle? For everyday driving, front or all wheel drive is the way to go here for us.

My german rear wheel drive car mentioned above was supposed to be an all-wheel drive, but that's a whole other story.

[?] I am curious, based on other owners' experiences (Northeast USA or other), if the MB dealers will turn me off by their practices before I even really form any impressions of the product. Any positive or negative "sales guy" stories would be good.

- SonOfC320

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would want the car to be sold directly to me when the contract is written.

I have act...

I would want the car to be sold directly to me when the contract is written.

I have actually heard experiences that when some companies that negotiate a purchase for you or purchase an inventory in advance (eg: Automalls/Autocenters) certain ownership priveleges are missing when you take ownership of the car. Sometimes recall notices, service reminders, and special offers may not reach you either.

JimB- If your dealer sold directly to you via the .coms, then you have no worries. If you or anyone else went the other route, where the .com or automall was sold the car first, this is something to check with MB HQ on to ensure they have your records. Just a heads up...

- SonOfC320

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Follow-up to initial post

Well, it turns out that the dealer that I mentioned emailed me with an update. Summarizing the key points of his email. His email progresses in order as follows:

1. They do not have the C320 4MATIC for test driving on the day of my appointment.

2. They may have only the C240 4MATIC for test driving on the day of my appointment.

3. They cannot guarantee that they will have any 4MATICs on that day.

Real nice... Well, this is what I smelled to begin with and his email confirms it. [V] Arrgh.

- SonofC320

1 - 11 of 11 Posts