Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ML 350 Iridium Silver/ Ash (Sold)
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I found a W140 S500 1999 " GRAND EDITION " on line today, traded to a MBZ dealer.
I called to look at it on Sunday.
The pictures look pretty good, what do you think of the dealers asking price.
80,052 miles, clean Carfax report (no acidents) $16,898
Please advise ASAP Thanks in advance for your replies.
PS. Not sure which I will trade-in the ML320 2002 or the E320 2003 if this is the right car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,886 Posts
Hello all,
I found a W140 S500 1999 " GRAND EDITION " on line today, traded to a MBZ dealer.
I called to look at it on Sunday.
The pictures look pretty good, what do you think of the dealers asking price.
80,052 miles, clean Carfax report (no acidents) $16,898
Please advise ASAP Thanks in advance for your replies.
PS. Not sure which I will trade-in the ML320 2002 or the E320 2003 if this is the right car.
Trade either one for it - then sell the other one for some spare cash on backup for the repairs as they come up :cool:

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Try and bargain him down a little bit. It would have to be in near perfect shape to get that kind of $$$ for it. I would go after it before someone else gets it. They are fairly rare and VERY well optioned. Prepare to be amazed. The quality is going to be something for you to get used to, coming from a first gen ML and first model year E320.

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz S320 Long Wheelbase.
544 Posts
They are arguably the most desirable W140, so if that's what you want, then definitely go for it! I think they were maybe 300 made, not all shipped to the US, but I might be wrong about that. $16,900 sounds pretty fair to me based on mileage and condition, but it had better be pretty damned clean for nearly $17,000.

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
yeh swap that ML (E320 is pretty cool), btw you shouldnt have many problems with Grand Edition as it was 1999 so it was pretty much as good as it gets.... i wish i could get one but there were none sold to new zealand :-(

·
Registered
1999 S500 GRAND EDITION (32,800 Miles)
269 Posts
GRAND, GRAND EDITION

If the maintenance records show careful care of the car, and you take the time to both go over all of the options to determine that they are working, (its the options that seem to be terribly costly to repair), have an indie mechanic go over the car. If all is well,

GRAB IT.:D:D:D

There were 600 of them built--don't know how many were shipped to US.

I think that the Grand Edition is the quintessential Benz. But then, I have a bias.

Good luck:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Telechronos

1999 S500 Grand Edition (mileage 39,754)
1984 380SL
1987 BMW L7
1969 Factory Stick, Factory Tri-power, Pontiac Grand Prix SJ
1955 MG TF1500

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
There is a guy on MB world trying to sell his for about 19k I think he's been told that he will only get 13k for it. So not really knowing the market and considering it's a benz dealer that price seems about right see if you can get a warranty with it also then. As far as trading trade that ML those things are yuck IMO.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to you all for your quick responses.
I did see and drive the " Grand Edition " today.
Here is my observation: the exterior of the car is very good ( a few minor paintless dents to be removed) but for 80,000 mls the interior looks a bit beat up. the rear seats are excellent, but the drivers seat and arm rest have taken a beating.
Little things like the cup holder spring are broken and the rear window shade pulls are frayed from the Florida heat.
This Benz has everthing! The MBZ dealer would reduce the asking price rather then send it to his service dept. and let me get the little things fixed on my own.
This ride will come with NO warrenty.
This is a one owner car and was serviced at MBZ shops in Florida and New York
With the price of gas here and although this S500 is rare, I was the only interested customer today.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Thanks to you all for your quick responses.
I did see and drive the " Grand Edition " today.
Here is my observation: the exterior of the car is very good ( a few minor paintless dents to be removed) but for 80,000 mls the interior looks a bit beat up. the rear seats are excellent, but the drivers seat and arm rest have taken a beating.
Little things like the cup holder spring are broken and the rear window shade pulls are frayed from the Florida heat.
This Benz has everthing! The MBZ dealer would reduce the asking price rather then send it to his service dept. and let me get the little things fixed on my own.
This ride will come with NO warrenty.
This is a one owner car and was serviced at MBZ shops in Florida and New York
With the price of gas here and although this S500 is rare, I was the only interested customer today.
Thats interesting, were you able to find out the mechanial condition of the car? One owner with service history is pretty good IMO.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Iam told that this S500 was traded in on a new S550 2008. I will ask for the VMI from the dealer, but I will have to wait until Tuesday because of the Holiday on Monday the service / parts will be closed.
Carfax is clean

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The front seat is all cracked on the right lap side, the wood is cracked on the ash tray, the pass rear door sill is dented up, the visors are dirty/ dry / cracked, the arm rest is peeling leather and the rear ac has been foot kicked. I was told by the dearler that this owner has small children. It seems that the machinics were looked after but not the car itself.
For $16,898 I am not going to go after it ( the dealer will only discount about $500.00) Not enough for me to get it looking "new".
I will keep searching for a w140 even if it is not a "Grand Edition" I would rather have a decent looking 140 MBenz

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
The front seat is all cracked on the right lap side, the wood is cracked on the ash tray, the pass rear door sill is dented up, the visors are dirty/ dry / cracked, the arm rest is peeling leather and the rear ac has been foot kicked. I was told by the dearler that this owner has small children. It seems that the machinics were looked after but not the car itself.
For $16,898 I am not going to go after it ( the dealer will only discount about $500.00) Not enough for me to get it looking "new".
I will keep searching for a w140 even if it is not a "Grand Edition" I would rather have a decent looking 140 MBenz
Good call! It sounds like it would need $1000's worth of work to bring it up to good condition.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I know a lot of people here love the Grand Edition and it is a very very good W140 to get but I'd not get too hung up on them IMO with the exception of the extra leather and different leather package it's not really any different from a normal W140 S500. Your more likely to find a really good condition 98-99 S500 than a really nice GA so I'd not pass on a good condition S500 in the hope that you might find a GA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts