Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
wow i guess pointing out the fact you were complaining about getting the car you didnt want to get or pointing that the guy who literally left his car out in the rain knowing its leaking into his electronics is not very smart makes me a troll.

lighten up.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
wow i guess pointing out the fact you were complaining about getting the car you didnt want to get or pointing that the guy who literally left his car out in the rain knowing its leaking into his electronics is not very smart makes me a troll.

lighten up.

Bondavi pointed out the thread where you called yourself a troll. He probably did this for troll-like behavior, where you seemed to offer two cars for sale, (rare in US euro SEC???) but did not back it up. I thought it was funny that there you called yourself a troll.

As far as "complaining" about getting a car I didn't want. I don't think that's the case. I went into this with my eyes open. Sure, no AMG logo on the rear skirt, but I still get what I wanted, a rear skirt that looks like AMG. The guy would not sell me just the skirt. So I had to buy the whole car.

Honestly, I did think that there would be something more to an SEC than the seat belt presenters and nicer front seats. I am watching out for the additional room people claim the SEC have, but honestly, I was expecting to be a little more impressed by the coupe. They are far more valuable than the sedans (I think), and I guess that's just supply and demand, not because the coupes have real special features.

I've driven past a different SEC all the time, a 560sec parked outside the condo building near me, and never really taken a good look at it until purchasing a coupe myself. It makes me happy with the one I've got, way more than a 560sec with:
- big bumpers
- US lights
- no anti-squat rear end
- SLS rear (that appears to have failed)
- and a missing driver door panel

Today someone came to buy the gas tank from my 1989 300se parts car (to put into his euro SEC with a hand crank sunroof), and I took him around the block. It was the longest squealing tires I'd done in the car. Fun, but worried about annoying the neighbors. Oh well. Well, I guess the point is that you can probably get used to driving the car and get a little more enjoyment out of it.

·
SuperModerator
13,208 Posts
I tend to find mine really different, but I love both. The SEC has a much lower seating position, that's the main thing I notice when I hop in.
Then I find the cornering and turn-in pretty different to that of the SE.
I love the look of both but the SEC needs the right ride height and wheels & then it can be properly stunning.

Mine are both generation two cars, I've not experienced a generation one SEC yet.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
i was joking about having two. but i see them on bat all the time.

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/12/22/3500-euro-1984-mercedes-benz-500-sec-amg/

the sec is one of my favorite vehicles. im mostly on here because im restoring a g wagon and theres a lot of m113 knowledge here. as well as the interior.

On CL Tulsa Oklahoma nearly four years ago.

Sorry I did not understand your joke about having two.

Yes, there is a lot of knowledge on this forum. It has been very helpful through the past 7 years of my addiction and ownership of over 30 MB in that time.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
LOL!!! Oh that SEC... That was the object of all kinds of interesting things at the time... I communicated with the seller at the time and IIRC, those pics weren't too up to date etc.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I think the reason you aren't smitten with this Sec is that it's just not a particularly nice example of an Sec, and has too many issues (rust , worn interior ) which do not make it cost effective to make into a nice one .

I recommend you drive a few really nice ones (any bw members in your area with Sec? ) and see if you have a different impression.

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
I think the reason you aren't smitten with this Sec is that it's just not a particularly nice example of an Sec, and has too many issues (rust , worn interior ) which do not make it cost effective to make into a nice one .

I recommend you drive a few really nice ones (any bw members in your area with Sec? ) and see if you have a different impression.
I agree, seems like Fonzi bought a parts car and expected it to be an example of a true SEC. I have purchased a couple parts cars and feel like kissing the ground when I get from point A to point B. Any car that is ragged out is not an example of what one finds in a correct car of any brand/make. Although Fonzi purchased the car just for the rear bumper/skirt he is offering it at $3500? Those of us the own and drive a good SEC know what these cars are about and words like "disappointing" are never used in our descriptions. Never! Just my thoughts, Mike

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The car has grown on me a little. However, I also drove my 1980 280se 4-speed stick last night and was really impressed with how well its suspension handles the bumps. This SEC definitely needs some front suspension love. Is THAT why I'm not incredibly impressed? No. Not really. It's more that I was expecting to get a feeling that seemed like more than just the sedan with two fewer doors.

I'd sell the car for a bunch less than $3500. I just wouldn't ever look back at it as a mistake to sell it at that price. $1500? Yes, I'd fear I was making a mistake. $2500? Meh. I'd probably say. "That was short and fun."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Boy a well sorted SEC with fully re-furbed suspension (front & rear) and re-furbed suspension/brakes along with well running engine/smooth trans etc is a world apart from an SEC that has not been maintained and all of the above needs attention (or it is really just a parts car if too far gone)

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Boy a well sorted SEC with fully re-furbed suspension (front & rear) and re-furbed suspension/brakes along with well running engine/smooth trans etc is a world apart from an SEC that has not been maintained and all of the above needs attention (or it is really just a parts car if too far gone)

I guess I will have to find someone nearby with a well sorted one to determine where mine might fall short. This one has the aluminum rear control arms, just like my 500se, no SLS.

I agree that the parts, including the rear end seem very desirable to me:

- drivetrain solid, and for 107 guys, the 5.0 euro is top dog. So this is a drive train I'd put at least a $1000 price tag on. Nothing wrong with it I can find. Spins tires nicely and revs well with the power I'd expect from a 5.0 euro. It took a bit of timing to get it there, but it is running very well now.

- anti-squat/anti-dive rear end: this would be desirable IMO on any of my cars if I could determine how to make it fit. The control arms and rear subframes are the same for w126, c107, w123 and w114/115 cars. The control arms are the same for r107. I believe this rear end makes a huge difference in the handling, especially acceleration and braking. All 5.0, 5.6, euro 4.5, euro 3.8 r/c107 got this rear end as I understand it. I'm considering taking the system from one of the 560sl or 500sl parts cars I have available to put it into my r107 280sl 5-speed. I'm not sure if there are others like me that would want to do this (any m110, US 4.5, 3.5, or US 3.8 107 owners could be interested in the same), but beyond my r107, I could see this rear end being a benefit for my 1980 280se stick (SLS removed), or my euro 380se which I don't believe has it.

- euro bumpers with complete SEC front.

- euro headlights and wipers

- black coupe seats that I'd consider putting into my 500se if it would be an improvement.

And I'm sure there's more.

Yes, it would make a great parts car. It's just not dead yet. Cold AC, still pretty good looking and seemingly reliable. Someone should get to enjoy this one before it kicks the bucket.

·
Premium Member
4,175 Posts
Seeming the Euro's are rare your way it would be worth then keeping it and seeing what needs sorting with the front suspension/steering as a start.

Yes all mine have the anti-dive rear alloy trailing arm set up and that is a bonus for you along with everything else you mentioned.

If your handy on the tools then first checking and making a list of what needs attention is a start to assessing potential costs for a re-fresh to then be able to make an informed decision. I would keep it if i were you

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Seeming the Euro's are rare your way it would be worth then keeping it and seeing what needs sorting with the front suspension/steering as a start.

Yes all mine have the anti-dive rear alloy trailing arm set up and that is a bonus for you along with everything else you mentioned.

If your handy on the tools then first checking and making a list of what needs attention is a start to assessing potential costs for a re-fresh to then be able to make an informed decision. ...

I have started into this. Timing needed adjusting. The car was an incredible mess on the exterior when I bought it. For example:

And it wasn't running right. Here's how it was when I first got it home:

Just fixing the timing got it to have far more guts and the miss to disappear:

You can see in that video I was covering the annoying issues with the car, mostly cosmetic.

I would keep it if i were you
I just don't think I'm an SEC man. I am just more in love with my 1985 500se euro "AMG". The sedan can fit the whole family when needed too.

Edit:
Also, all the above videos and more were taken before I started this thread.

I should say too... the interior of the parts car I purchased, a 1989 300se US Spec does impress me more than the gen1 interiors. Because of this, I am taking the entire interior out of the parts car 1989 300se and putting it into my 1985 500se. Maybe I would find the gen2 cars are more impressive.

And another edit:
I have to say I am also incredibly impressed with the w140 chassis cars. I've driven two sedan (never a coupe w140), and the suspension in those cars just impresses me so much.

Speaking of suspension, I am also impressed at how well my 1980 280se stick shift handles bumps. So maybe just replacing shocks would help this 500sec.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
I was a R107 guy (450SLC, 450SL, 500SL), then became smitten with the w126. Only 107 I'll go back to is a 560SL, and thats one without a motor to put my 6.0L motor in. Tastes change with times...

Being a tall guy (6'2"), having ample seat legroom was a must for me, the 107 came up a bit short in this regard. The sedan does this nicely, but with the coupe, having the seat all the way back I can't touch the pedals, LOL.

Like a fine wine, these cars are best on weekend cruises and just get better with age, but definitely weed out the roaches. This car seems borderline.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
A guy came down for a gas tank for his SEC (hoping that 1989 300se tank will fit), and I took him for a ride. He said he is restoring the wrong SEC and should have bought mine. That made me feel good. :)

I agree on the borderline thing. If this was a US spec SL, is part it out. If it was a 5.0 r107 or c107, I'd restore it. Euro spec 5.0 w126 gen1? They don't seem too hard to find or expensive. Additionally, you could take the euro cosmetic parts and put them on a higher power 560sec with the nicer interior, and you could get the best of all worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Giving eBay another whirl

Edit: I had to kill the auction because eBay suspended my account for including my email address as "Mknmike at live com", so I could not respond to any questions at all. I guess I will install 15" wheels before I give it another whirl on eBay next time.

Locally advertised for $2800 with hopes and dreams of $2500.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Link to new auction?

Thanks for the reminder. 1980 Mercedes-Benz 500-Series black leather | eBay

How's the 500se?

Edit: I had to kill the auction because eBay suspended my account for including my email address as "Mknmike at live com", so I could not respond to any questions at all. I guess I will install 15" wheels before I give it another whirl on eBay next time.

Locally advertised for $2800 with hopes and dreams of $2500.

41 - 60 of 156 Posts
About this Discussion
155 Replies
27 Participants
Fonzi
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing