Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The Bundts just ruin the look of the car. Perhaps if they were 15 inch and chromed they might not appear so heinous. But those gotta go. They scream w123.

The AMG wheels you posted will be 2/3 of a step improvement, but that particular wheel has relatively thin spoke / large hole pattern that I find too small. I think it looks too flimsy for a w126.

The AMG wheels shown in post #18 take the car to where it belongs. Fat, short spokes and smaller holes. Who doesn't like a smaller hole? There are others wheels that will make the car look more "proper" as well. Of course opinions will vary. You just got mine.

I don't know....500 SEC with EU Bumps and lights, silver on black....that ought to be one hell of a nice car. It needs wheels and love.

+1 on shit-canning the plastic.

My car has later (w140?) Benz wheels on it which are one inch up on the tire diameter. I think it looks pretty good, tho not nearly as nice as say, AMG Aero's. When I put the stock spare bottle-cap on once, it looked SO much smaller. I can't imagine such a big coupe tooling around on such puny wheels.

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't know....500 SEC with EU Bumps and lights, silver on black....that ought to be one hell of a nice car. It needs wheels and love.

+1 on shit-canning the plastic.

Comments like that make me think this car, despite the 186,000 miles (even though I believe that blue 500sec with gray interior may have been the one that @Girota sold to Texas and was subsequently sold to Cali, also apparently had 185k miles, but with a rebuilt motor), just might be worth spending the time fixing it up.

Here are the issues:

- some rust around the jack holes after removing side skirts. I've seen worse. This could potentially just be scraped and stopped in its tracks with POR-15

- exhaust leaks on both sides just before cats after the down pipes. I assume taking the cats out would be the way to go, but take a look at Kent Bergsma and his miracle paint, and you could just wrap the connections with fiberglass and miracle paint and stop the leak. That's not the right way to go, but it would work.

- rattle in front suspension, particularly the passenger side. Ball joint? Rubber mount? Tie rod? I haven't investigated.

- rear of the headliner

- cracks in the dash

- rear passenger window motor seems to have an intermittent connection on the "up".

- wobbly windshield rear view mirror

- clearcoat and pin stripes gone from trunk lid. Needs at least clear coat redone and pinstripe.

- dent in SEC-specific trunk trim

- rust bubbles around BOTH rear wheels

- 1" long tear in the driver bolster that has not opened up.

Does anyone want this project more than me?

I'm afraid if I commit myself, I won't know where to stop.

It certainly could be a good beater. It starts right up, has cold AC, and engages all the gears and can even have some nice "giddy up".

I got my rear skirt and I'm ready to pass it on.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Agreed, much better without skirts!
the 500's are hard to value.
Probably worth a few grand as a running driver, plus Euro bits. are those Euro wipers? If so good find, headlights and bumpers are moderately hard to find, the wipers/motors/doors are very hard to find for euro SEC headlights.

It would be nice to see it survive if someone wanted a cheap entry to the SEC's. Long as it has the High CR Euro motor its better than the 380's. Heck for $3500, if you had some wrench turning ability it would be a nice car for under $5k. Buy it, drive it upgrade cosmetic as parts come along.

I'd be interested, but I just bought an 83 500SE to keep me busy. Its a really weird Fatherland optioned car with big balloon 14" steelies with caps. (separate thread on that later)

Hopefully someone will take the project on.

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Heck for $3500, if you had some wrench turning ability it would be a nice car for under $5k. Buy it, drive it upgrade cosmetic as parts come along.

If someone offered me $3500, it would definitely be sold today. I'm considering tossing it up on eBay starting at $100 to see what happens.

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I just went to the auto body shop behind my house to get an estimate for paint. It went out of control really fast. Paint the whole car, but this time remove the windows. Hold on there!!!

So I went to get the color code 735 from the car and the color touch up sites.

Checking VIN for Mercedes-Benz WDB12604412002316 | CARInfo

Doesn't look like it has any SLS or any special options that would make it ultra special besides the headlight wipers I'm guessing.

with the VIN 126.044.12.002316, wouldn't it be a bit earlier than a 1985? Maybe a 1983? But it doesn't even have an "A" in the VIN. Maybe a 1980?

Edit: My 1985 (?) 500se is 1260361A152595, but that one corresponds to 1985 on this site: http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/prod_date/s-class#126

Edit 2: And my 1980 280se 4-speed stick is VIN: wdb12602210006846.

And oh... the Title says 1982. Hmmm... Is this a 1982 or 1980?

Edit3: from my perspective, I'd assume that a 1980 would be a little more desirable with the power rating at 237 hp Instead of 228 hp based on Wikipedia, but looking at Automobile-catalog.com, which I consider very reliable, there's not even a 1980 500sec model, just 1981+, and they all are 228hp or less. So that explains why it feels no quicker than my 500se.

Edit4: Classic center confirmed: "Left the assembly line 21 June 1982."

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
I may try the CLK / SLK wheels anyway since I can't seem to get rid of them anyway.
I could use two front ones. :wink_2: The rears are rubbing slightly on bumps due to too much offset, so I've been thinking about getting a full set of fronts... :dunno:

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
$950??? :eek: LOL

I got mine for $400 with brand new tires on them. Granted, they are slightly different style, but still. I'm just going to see if I can find a pair of front ones from a junkyard somewhere around here.

21 - 40 of 156 Posts
About this Discussion
155 Replies
27 Participants
Fonzi
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing