Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: 7/27/2017 (ten days later): Posted it up on eBay... https://www.ebay.com/itm/253065010734
End edit.
-----------
I picked up my first ever SEC mostly because I wanted the rear skirt which I thought was AMG, but turned out not to be. I bought it anyway because think the skirt will suffice, and I was over 3 hours invested.

I have always been "a sucker for an S class sedan in full euro dress" and bought the 1985 500se for that reason. I know the SEC is the higher value car, and maybe this one doesn't get me excited because it wears 14" bundts. But I just don't get excited about the long rear end. What am I missing?

The seat belt presenters are some real "first world" stuff right there. Reach back for the seat belt if it has fallen off the headrest mounted seat belt holder in an SLC can be so cumbersome. Oh my. :)

Otherwise... why am I not getting excited about this SEC?

I think this one is going to get passed on down the line as soon as I remove the rear skirt, and I guess the side skirts to give it a clean look... unless someone can convince me of why this car should get me excited.

Anyone?

Here's my w126 love...

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
With some time behind the wheel, you certainly notice the difference between the coupe and the sedan.

For me, I would classify the sedan as being more linear and cramped/boxy feeling from the drivers' seat, like sitting on a couch, whereas the coupe you have a complete, unobstructed view, and the seat/ergonomics just feel like a gentleman's chair.

The sedan rides like a mattress on wheels, the coupe's ride seems more dynamic, with feedback.

With the sedan you always know you're lugging some real estate, but not so with the coupe.

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So...
- B-pillars
- seats
- heavier feeling rear end?

Is there anything special I would find different in the SEC as far as the suspension or drive line?

Does it help at all that the sedan is an SE instead of an SEL?

I've got three kids and the sedan will cover daily driver duty better I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Use the SE to haul around the rug rats and when taking the Mrs out to dinner and take the coupe when you want (or get the chance) to ride by yourself and stretch your legs a bit (the Mario Andretti effect :wink). You might look at the coupe a little differently with a wheel change, I see two different styles on the saloon, maybe give the second set a try and see if it excites you a bit. I know that changing the wheels on mine made it a whole different car

Attachments

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might look at the coupe a little differently with a wheel change, I see two different styles on the saloon, maybe give the second set a try and see if it excites you a bit. I know that changing the wheels on mine made it a whole different car

That brings up another topic. If it m passing this 186,000 mile example down the line, do you w126 fellas have advice on the wheels? With a 107, generally I say keep it stock. I've got nearly every wheel selection under the sun available (with the exception if Pentas which I've sold all off). Bbs rs, Lorinser LO, 17" AMG 5-spoke for a CLK, spacers, 15" bundts, rial N mesh in 7 and 8" sets, 86-91 15-hole wheels, Lorinser RT (Bbs rs 3-piece like).

The lowest value wheels are the 14" bundts, and I assume it's best to keep them on there.

And if anyone wants to PM an offer on this good running car, the biggest issue besides that saggy headliner in the back is the rear passenger window being intermittent about wanting to go up, a small rust bubble on driver rear wheel well, and a rattle I notice in the suspension over 60 mph.

The headliner doesn't look that bad right now. Not sure why. That's a FS pic from before I bought it.

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a set of these wheels in 17" which I think are a CLK fit at 7.5 et37 fronts and 8.5 et30 rears. Maybe 20mm spacers on the rears and 15 mm spacers on the front would be a nice fit. I can't seem to find many of these wheels on SEC cars. Too modern?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Interesting.. I am going for my first drive in my new 85 500 sec euro today. Will see if it drives different than my sel. I've never driven an sec ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just took off the side skirts and rear skirt (that I want for my SE, the rear skirt being the whole reason I bought the car really, thinking it was real AMG before I embarked on the trip).

I think I may like it better already. The narrow wheels on a widened look around the bottom sides was t working maybe.

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
One of the nice things about this car is that the AC works out the gate, and other than adjusting the timing and giving it a serious cleaning, there hasn't been much work required. I'm not sure at this point whether I'm trying to fall in love with it or trying not to fall in love with it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Much better. Heck, I'd OM617A that in a heartbeat. Much easier conversion than the Gen2 swap I did with a 300SE....wiring anyhow. No SLS in this bandit?

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't believe it has SLS.

I saw that blue ribbed-side 500SEC euro, and got to thinking I should put the same wheels (that I have plenty of) on mine.

I may try the CLK / SLK wheels anyway since I can't seem to get rid of them anyway.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Clint Eastwood is one of those guys who stayed with a Gen1 euro spec over getting a Gen2 560 like everybody else...in CA of all places...

Gen1 and Gen2 both have their virtues, but I think ciutting your teeth on a Gen1 is a great way in, especially an euro spec. The euro motors are fun.

So, give it some time. Drive and get yourself acquainted with the wonderful charming machine we all call the SEC.

Unload it when (and if) you're done, move up to a 560 coupe some day and maybe do a retrospective look. Prices have trended upwards lately. Are the 107 560sl's already out of reach pricewise these days?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
drove mine today....the seat belt presenter tripped me out

and i cant deal without driving without a front hood emblem sticking out....just seems wrong

right side window gives up around the top...just makes a lot of noise.... i guess a regulator maybe, sunroof is smooth, front seats need pool tube support...

idles at 1000, thats 500 higher than the SEL

project begins....goal will be this

Attachments

·
3,907 Posts
Were I looking to improve the look, without "having a set of wheels run the show", I might put the stock 15 hole MB ones on.. It would tastefully modernize the look a LOT. in my view..

I wager the 'road feel' would improve as well..

Your SE looks great! I am jealous here..

:)

MBL

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seeing that picture with the AMG Oz wheels, maybe I will have to finally bolt the 8.5x17 et20 and 10x17 et19 Oz-3-piece fittipaldi wheels I have onto something. They still have the stickers on the tires and have just been stacked in the corner of my garage up on a countertop. The plan was to have them be the "show wheels" for my 500se.

I can't find any pictures of them with the center caps on them right now.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
About this Discussion
155 Replies
27 Participants
Fonzi
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing