Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has America reached a point where every atrocity by our prez results in apathy? Numbness?

Families torn apart and children imprisoned in concentration camps... open racism, obstruction of justice in a federal investigation, nepotism, crudeness, cruelty. Did I mention open racism by the president of the US?

Where are the demonstrations? Where are the thousands outside the WH clamoring for his resignation?

WTF happened to America?

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
It’s almost as if we as a nation have just determined “Well, count your blessings.....it could be worse.”

The problem is why should we have to live in a country that the best thing we can say is we haven’t hit bottom yet?

Check out my last post in the “Trump” thread.

·
Registered
61,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t know about the rest of you guys but I personally am fucking tired.

Tired of waking up every morning and checking my newsfeed just to see what this crazy bigoted MF did or said last night....

Last night was an eternity ago. This is today...

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
This SHOULD be here....

I don’t know about the rest of you guys but I personally am fucking tired.

Tired of waking up every morning and checking my newsfeed just to see what this crazy bigoted MF did or said last night. Tired of having my friends and associates in other countries or now living here FROM other countries ask me “What the Hell HAPPENED to America?” Tired of the circus in Washington (which should be somewhat expected considering we elected a clown.) Tired of the sociatal tension I as a Black man feel every moment of the day. Tired of wondering if my kids and grandkids will have to deal with the same racist BS my generation and those before us have had to deal with. Tired of having to work twice as hard just to stay in place. Tired of the disingenuous nature of our national politics. Tired of feeling like a second class citizen in the very country my forefathers spilled their blood to protect and build. Tired of second guessing every encounter I have with White Americans I'm not already familiar with. Tired of fearing that someone in my family or community will lose everything they long struggled to accumulate simply because they had the misfortune to get sick..or drove a car with a busted taillight.

2020 alone won’t fix this. The genie has more than escaped the bottle. We’ll be decades cleaning up this current day mess and I have to say it’s not all Trump’s fault. He simply exposed the underlying divisions already existing in this country and exploited them for his political advantage. The hatred, the bigotry, the xenophobia already existed but we as a nation were successful to a marginal degree to make it unacceptable to demonstrate or express them publicly. That’s SO obviously no longer the case.

We have a president that I honestly don’t believe views himself as the leader of a unified nation but rather the leader of that segment of the population that agrees with his myopic world view. Them and them alone.

Hillary famously said “half of Trump’s supporters were deplorable” but the last 3 years have sadly proven her dead wrong.

She clearly underestimated.

·
Registered
61,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... It should end your political career in 21st century America. But it doesn’t.

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
The average American doesn't give a rat's ass about anything so long as the lights stay on, there are groceries in the store, pizza is delivered, there is gas at the gas station and their TV and internet work.

Until election time, when the masses divide into "republican" or "democrat" without any real understanding of who or what they're voting for. Might as well be picking sides in a soccer game. Hence working class "republicans" will vote for a president who promises tax cuts, even though they pay little tax anyway and all the tax cuts do is scrap inheritance tax for the plutocrats like Trump. So the rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and the working class republicans cheer all the way to the trailer park. And the Democrats aren't any better. They exploit their black, latino and working class base for no benefit except to themselves. Kind of like those pastors driving Rolls Royces.

The main problem right now is that the Democrats have about twenty potential candidates, none of which really stack up to close examination, and none of which have a clear coherent manifesto for meaningful change that both left and center can get behind.

So the US will sleepwalk into another four years of Trump.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
The electorate accepted the status quo of the 2 party system for so long that both parties now know they can nominate incompetent, corrupt, bigoted, lying scumbag candidates at any time and their base will just hold its collective nose and vote for them.

This is the result. Standards have sunk so low that a thoroughly despicable and obviously unqualified turd like Donald Trump can actually win a presidential election.

To answer the question of why America isn't rising up, en masse, to demand his resignation, the partial answer is: Who would replace him? Do we really want Pence to take his place? At this point it's probably best to simply run out the clock.

The other part of the answer is the undeniable fact that if Trump is forced out of office, then that means Democrats automatically score big politically and will reap the benefits for the next 2 to 4 election cycles. Even Republicans who know Trump is a total asshole and a national embarrassment aren't about to just hand over the entire power structure to the Democratic Party and say, Here you go!"

If the situation were reversed and a Democratic president was the piece of shit that needed to go, there's no way Democrats would just abandon them and let Republicans take over.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
The average American doesn't give a rat's ass about anything so long as the lights stay on, there are groceries in the store, pizza is delivered, there is gas at the gas station and their TV and internet work.
The "average American" is born, spends their entire life and dies within 200 miles of their birthplace....which goes a long way towards explaining their xenophobia.

The "average American" has little or no regular contact with people who don't look or sound like them....which goes a long way towards explaining their racism.

The "average American" rarely, if ever, interacts with anyone who doesn't share their beliefs on religion, social issues or their own specific brand of morality...which goes a long way towards explaining their bigotry.

The "average American" lives in a loosely defined rural community with a population of less than 10,000 residents ....which goes a long way towards explaining their complete ignorance of the world outside their county lines.

Keeping all that in mind, the "average American" has somehow convinced themselves that their salvation lies in the hands of a duplicitous multi-millionaire huckster who heads a global corporation based in the nation's largest city, who has done little to improve their lot thus far and who, if his history is any judge, views them as nothing more than a means to an end.

You're 100% right. "The average American doesn't give a rat's ass about anything so long as the lights stay on, there are groceries in the store, pizza is delivered, there is gas at the gas station and their TV and internet work" and these are the people who hold the fate of 329,262,721 citizens in their hands.

That's some scary shit......MAGA.

·
Registered
61,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's hard trying to ignore the daily outrage of Trump's conduct but honestly, flashing a grin and a thumbs up in a photo op with a baby whose parents died in a terrorist attack caused by his own racist rhetoric, is such a sign of extreme emotional/cognitive dysfunctionality that I can't get it out of my head.

Impeach this mofo already.

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
You are just a puppet to one side of the media equation. Wake up and see both sides are manipulated for the benefit of the less than 1%.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
It's hard trying to ignore the daily outrage of Trump's conduct but honestly, flashing a grin and a thumbs up in a photo op with a baby whose parents died in a terrorist attack caused by his own racist rhetoric, is such a sign of extreme emotional/cognitive dysfunctionality that I can't get it out of my head.

Impeach this mofo already.
Apparently, the babies uncle brought the infant to the hospital because he is a trump supporter.

My thoughts wander back to when trump first got elected.

I didnt want to believe it.
Anyways, I called my father in the states to discuss this event.

Asked Pops what he thought.

Pops talks with a low measured Tennesee voice..this he told me...'Well Jerry, everytime I look at the TV and see that Son of a Bitch open his mouth, I hope there is a guy somewhere adjusting the scope on his Sniper rifle, aiming it right for that mouth'.

Thats what he said.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts