Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'93 190E 2.3/auto
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Was driving to NYC on the coldest day of the year, and had the whole exhaust system drop (a clean break where the downpipes (integral part of the catalytic converter) join the catalytic converter proper). Gerry-rigged it on the side of the highway (simply so it wouldn't be dragging on the ground), and drove the thing the rest of the way to my friend's house, and now (the lucky part) it's in a garage (midtown brownstone). In short, i can work on it without freezing to death, and even have a toolbox in the trunk & a nice hydraulic shop jack & stands in the garage. Have to come up with at least a temporary solution, to drive the car back to Mass. If i had a Mig welder, it would be a 10-minute job (as i said, temporary - doesn't have to be elegant or even gas-tight), but i don't, and paying $600+ for a new catalytic is a bit rich for my blood. The other complication is I still have to work (work on-line, but still can't blow it off), so i don't hove infinite time.
Does anyone know of friendly exhaust shops in NY, or junkyards which may have a catalytic/entire exhaust system either already removed, or willing to cut one from their yard? Or a tool rental place where i could rent a welder (even a stick buzzbox)? Any help/advice would be appreciated. Worst comes to worst, i'll go the "chunk of pipe sliced in half & held on with a pair of muffler clamps" route.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
I'd say just slice a pipe in half and clamp it on.
This would last long enough until you got back home and could have the time to properly fix it then.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,479 Posts
any muffler shop worth there salt should have the spare pieces you need and can weld them on in no time...i paid $60 for my new cherry bomb cat and another $25 to have it installed

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,967 Posts
There are alot of muffler shops in the junk yard behind the Shea Stadium.
I used to go to Gonzales Muffler Shop, he is a nice guy and very reasonable prices, tell him the owner oft the red mercedes 190e and silver E320 from NJ is recommending.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts