Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C300 (sold), 1987 560SL, 2007 CLK350 Cabrio, 2011 E350 Coupe. ALL 040! :)
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

We had the 560SL totally checked out at Auto Critic in Fort Lauderdale and it got a surprisingly amazing bill of health.

He is suggesting a full servicing ($450) and a replacement of the exhaust system as it is rusting badly and could "go" at anytime.

Have a question for you guys: While I'm all about having a M-B master mechanic type working on the car's engine and moving parts, I was wondering if there is a real advantage to having him do the exhaust vs someone like Meineke which would be way cheaper and possibly have a lifetime warranty?

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,216 Posts
A new exhaust system for a 560SL is about $4K from the dealer. It is far superior to anything aftermarket but unfortunately cost prohibitive. You might want to check out a company called Timevalve for a quality compromise. The original exhaust system on the 560SL gives it that quiet and elegant unobtrusive sound that becomes aggressive under load. All aftermarket systems Ive heard loose that. Unfortunately I have no experience with Timevalve so I don't know how they sound.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,085 Posts
and those "lifetime warrantees" are for the muffler only. They will always get you for new pipes and clamps.

·
Premium Member
10,216 Posts
and those "lifetime warrantees" are for the muffler only. They will always get you for new pipes and clamps.
Yes lifetime warranty of a $20.00 universal muffler. Anything performed on a 560SL by Meineke would really be bad news.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,355 Posts
How much are they suggesting be replaced. From the engine back?

·
Registered
2008 C300 (sold), 1987 560SL, 2007 CLK350 Cabrio, 2011 E350 Coupe. ALL 040! :)
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much are they suggesting be replaced. From the engine back?
Yeah, from the engine back.. What if we did MB muffler and the rest aftermarket? would that keep the sweet sound?

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
A few years ago when money was short, I had a local shop build an exhaust system for my 1974. They custom-bent the pipes and used an S10 muffler.
It sounded good to me and the price was right.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
Yeah, from the engine back.. What if we did MB muffler and the rest aftermarket? would that keep the sweet sound?
It would. MB muffler = Eberspaecher muffler.

·
Premium Member
10,216 Posts
That's what I have now. DEC twin cat system to replace the MB forward muffler and cat and an MB rear muffler. Not nearly as good as the stock unit but it works.

·
Registered
1973 450 SLC
124 Posts
Hi everyone,

We had the 560SL totally checked out at Auto Critic in Fort Lauderdale and it got a surprisingly amazing bill of health.

He is suggesting a full servicing ($450) and a replacement of the exhaust system as it is rusting badly and could "go" at anytime.

Have a question for you guys: While I'm all about having a M-B master mechanic type working on the car's engine and moving parts, I was wondering if there is a real advantage to having him do the exhaust vs someone like Meineke which would be way cheaper and possibly have a lifetime warranty?

Thoughts?
The muffler shops have a matrix that describes the exhaust requirements for a 450 sl, 560 sl or 1977 Z-28 302 Camaro with two 4 barrels carbs. From the matrix they match the exhaust diameter, the total length of the pipe run and the muffler to create the exhaust. The tubing is bent according to the matrix for the individual car.
Personally, I would seek out a well respected Hot Rod pipe bender in your town. I would ask him to slam a corvair turbo muffler on it. What a sound that would be!!!! or maybe not he would know. If you need two exhaust pipes to keep the purist at bay do so. Otherwise what does it matter??

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
The 380 and 560 exhaust systems look similar, but are definitely different. I bought Ansa rear mufflers for both my cars, and an Ansa center resonator for the 380, as well as a "universal" cat for it. Although not original and MAYBE a bit louder, so far, so good. I never had a good original muffler to compare them against.

The rear mufflers are tricky. Although both of my originals LOOKED ok externally, upon removal, it was obvious that there were no actual metal components left inside (both were basically cans of iron oxide).

·
Registered
'79 450SL
255 Posts
I went aftermarket with larger pipe (2")and bottles, a tad noisy but a definite improvement in performance.

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
Make sure you double check that... your cats and Y's of the manifold might still be good... if this is the case you can get an OEM muffler at the MB dealer for about $600 Canadian, and it bolts right up to the pipes at the back of the cat, and goes straight on to the rubber hangers.

Ask me how I know. ;)

John (roncallo) knows where of he speaks, she sounds great under load, and runs real smooth otherwise.

·
Registered
1986 560SL 2002 Toyota Camry 1993 Lexus ES300
46 Posts
I removed the perfectly good ANSA muffler that the previous owner had installed on my '86 560SL, about 3 years ago, and replaced it with an Eberspaecher from a Canadian on-line source, about $350.00 delivered. I did it because I didn't like the undignified rumble of the ANSA, way too 'hotrod' for this car. Absolutely the right way to go when coupled to the OEM cat/intermediate resonator assembly, which in my case was and still is in great shape. At the time, their price beat any online sources, USA or here, so do a search and see what you can find now. BTW, I still have the ANSA and would sell it for $20.00 if buyer paid the shipping.

·
Registered
1986 300 SL Euro spec - Signal Red/Black Eng/Trans: Inline 6 (M103.982) / 722.322 Auto
1,976 Posts
I wonder if the exhaust system for the M103 engine (inline 6) is the same from the manifolds back cosidering the 107R chasis? Also, mine is a Euro model, so I don't have the CC to deal with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts