Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am smell exhaust inside the cabin of my 300 sdl on occasion, nothing powerful just enough to know it runs on diesel.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to decrease the smell?

·
Registered
450 SL 1976
222 Posts
My old 500sel had that problem (though it wasn't exactly a smell of diesel[:D]) - it turned out to be a leak in the trunk; the hatch wasn't fully adjusted...

So when I had the sunroof or a window open, the exhaust was sucked in to the trunk and the cabin because of the under-pressure... a little adjustment of the hatch took care of that problem![:)]

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,292 Posts
Hey Thomas,

I think you are one of a handful of individuals I'm aware of (I guess I don't get out much!) that recognizes the fact: when a window is opened (while driving) it causes a negative pressure/under-pressure inside the passenger compartment. Draws fumes in through the trunk as exactly as you say.

"Oh, You have a broken exhaust? Just open a window a bit, you'll be OK.

I'd heard that from customers at the dealership, & well meaning non-car enthusiasts..... seemingly forever....... I'd say close the windows & put the heater on, temp cold & fan on low.... Non climate control days of yore.

For some time, I've the privilege of driving a closed, large displacement, '30's British motorcar several times each year on tour. When it is warm out & we've been on the road (60-70 mph) for a bit -------- well one wants to open the window at times. If you do, the combined exhaust & rear mounted fuel tank fumes can be really something, even with the cowl vent (front of the windscreen) is open.

I'd not given a thought to the sunroof. Looking at my wife's car yesterday, I'm sure it is due for an adjustment.

Thanks for the reminder, MBL

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
Is it serious problem?

I have 1988 420 SEL, and I also get exhaust smell in a car occasionally.
My friends just make fun of that as “old-car smell� or “smells of 80s’ car�.[:D]

A

·
0 Posts
Check to see if your flex pipe that joins the two exhaust manifolds together, is not leaking.
Passenger side of the engine, in back and below the
turbo.

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
What do you mean by adjusting the hatch? I have had this problem and it is indeed when the windows are open. I knew it was coming through the rear but how do you adjust the hatch? New seal?

·
Registered
450 SL 1976
222 Posts
EuroCoupe - 3/9/2005 1:15 AM

What do you mean by adjusting the hatch? I have had this problem and it is indeed when the windows are open. I knew it was coming through the rear but how do you adjust the hatch? New seal?
Well, I'll give my best shot at explaining it... with my school-english!![:D]

My hatch was adjusted too far from the rear window, resulting in a "hole" at the back end of the car (by the numberplate/rearlights). If you open the hatch, you can adjust it were it is attached to the car (you know - the thingys that go up and down, so it's possible to open/close the hatch![:D]).

There are bolts in both sides, and by loosening them, the hatch can slide a little bit...

I hope you understandmy pretty poor explanation!![:eek:)][:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
Thomas... please do not apologize for your English- you are quite understandable and I would be willing to bet that you speak better English than any of the native English speakers here speak Danish (Dansk?)!!

I believe the parts to which you refer are the trunk (boot) lid (hatch) hinges. The trunk lid can be adjusted on the hinges by loosening the screws you described. A new trunk seal might be a good idea also, as the originals are becoming rather "elderly" and OEM replacements are under $50. Also, if you have this problem or a "wet trunk", check the seals on the tail-lights - they are a common source of trunk leaks.

-Robert

·
Registered
450 SL 1976
222 Posts
OCStrider - 4/2/2005 6:55 PM

I would be willing to bet that you speak better English than any of the native English speakers here speak Danish (Dansk?)!!
HAHAHA!!! I'm pretty sure you're right!![:D][:D][:D]
And yes - it's called "dansk"...[:)]

I only apologize 'cause I myself think my english sometimes is poor; sure I can make myself understandable, but as you noticed (boot lid ... offcourse! I knew that!!! just couldn't remember...[;)]), some words just are hard to find... [:)]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts