Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.3
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions pertaining to the exhaust manifold. First, what type of metal is it made out of? it almost looks like its concrete but mine like everyone i've seen on a w201 shows rust or discoloration. do these typically ever need to be replaced and does this discoloration mean that its rusting out?, my EGR is also doing the same thing. I'm also thinking of painting it with some VHT high heat exhaust paint in maybe a nice metallic silver and following the "bake on" directions. anyone ever have any experience with this product or painting exhaust parts before and any advice there? thanks.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Deffinatly not made out of concrete. It's some type of metal, im not sure what type but can assure you it is not concrete.

Never dona anyting with the high heat paint, but it probably looks better than rust.

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3 8v w/ '87 5-speed and 3.27 rear, 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C, 2018 Triumph Bonneville
704 Posts
Has anyone just replaced it with custom headers and made it work with EGR and the sort? Increased power according to the "seat of your pants meter"?

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Anyone have any tips on removing the rust?

Mine looks like crap and I want to clean it up.
Thniking the only real way is sandblasting it, is this true?

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.3
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the rust is what's concerning me because if it starts to crack its $400 for a new one and its the kind of part you don't really want to buy used. This is the paint I'm going to use on it: VHT FlameProof Coating its a ceramic base so if the bake on directions are followed it should hold up pretty well and its only $7 a can.

·
Registered
1985 190e 2.3, 1986 190e 2.3-16
57 Posts
its straight cast iron. its gonna rust. if you want to paint it make sure to use really high quality ceramic exhaust header paint. the rattlecan stuff they sell at the parts store will burn off and some nasty ass fumes will fill up your cabin...

granted, the cast iron is so thick and resilient, most people dont have a problem leaving them uncovered. occasionally they will crack though.
very little to be had as far as bolt on headers. however, saab 4cyls have the same port spacing, so something could be had by buying performance headers for saabs (little easier to find) and bring that and your exhaust manifold to a machine shop to have them make a flange for your head, and weld it to the saab headers. I suppose you could do the same thing with headers from a 16v. depending on what year they come from, it may bolt up to the rest of your exhaust too.
you wont feel it, but youll hear it

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
Yeah the rust is what's concerning me because if it starts to crack its $400 for a new one and its the kind of part you don't really want to buy used. This is the paint I'm going to use on it: VHT FlameProof Coating its a ceramic base so if the bake on directions are followed it should hold up pretty well and its only $7 a can.
they all rust, mine are rusty and the one off of my motor is real rusty, the old one out of my 85 and 87 were all rusty, they are all fine no signs of crackage or anything. you could get them powdercoated if your worried but dun know how long it would last. personally i wouldnt hesitate putting a used one into the car because these manifolds rarely go bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts