Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I will be replacing my exhaust system including cats on my 87 560SL. I can't find out if there is a gasket or seal between the right side exhaust manifold and the right side cat. all the diagrams I have show all the other seals but and gaskets from cylinder head to muffler but for the life in me can't see a seal or gasket in this location.

Is there such an animal and if so do you have a part number please?

·
Registered
1998 SL500 CHAMPAGNE WITH MUSHROOM INTERIOR; 2007 ML500, 1976 450SL Project
14 Posts
it does not seem to be. you have the exhaust manifold gaskets, 8 pcs, the expansion seal gasket in the left manifolds, the seal ring between lert and right exhaust pipe, then the seal ring/ gasket/flange downstream between cat and muffler. At least this is what EPC shows for 87 560SL

·
Registered
1987 560SL
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it does not seem to be. you have the exhaust manifold gaskets, 8 pcs, the expansion seal gasket in the left manifolds, the seal ring between lert and right exhaust pipe, then the seal ring/ gasket/flange downstream between cat and muffler. At least this is what EPC shows for 87 560SL
This is what I see also. But what prevents exhaust gases escaping through that manifold to down pipe joint, on both sides, left and tight for that matter?
I never had a car without some sort of gasket or seal at that point?

·
Registered
1998 SL500 CHAMPAGNE WITH MUSHROOM INTERIOR; 2007 ML500, 1976 450SL Project
14 Posts
I guess is the conical shape of the joint that ensures seal. It's not unique, my Volvo has a similar setup, just have to torque the flange bolts / nuts to spec.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I will see that when I pull it apart....which will be a few weeks from now, in the meantime I am giving those bolts a daily blast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts