Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing this thread on behalf of my dad. He has a Mercedes E 220 Classic CDI AUTO and its slowly going pear shaped. All Im after is some sound advice on what the issues might be but will eventually take it to a mechanic if its not a straight forward job to fix.

He recenty had a rattling noise coming from under the hood... I checked it and found that the 2 rubber clips holding the air filter at the top were torn so I replaced them which stopped this noise but then also realised that there were patches of oil below the front of the air filter - between the radiator and air filter. Prior to putting the rubber brackets back on I did notice that the air filter casing was loose sunk by by about an inch. I didnt take the casing out to investigate as I didnt want to fiddle with it too much but I got the feeling something wernt quite right.

My dad then told me for the last 3 months the car has been driving very slugish and struggles to go uphill. I thought he might just need to service it but it turns out he had just done the servicing the other day and still the same problem.

I then the following day went to sort out a dent he had on his front nearside wing while doing this I discovered a cable was torn. I went to my local merc service center and asked them what that was for and they explained that it was the turbo temperature sensor. The representative said that the plug is not sold by itself and the whole thing itself would cost £300 on parts alone so I was far better off just going to a scrap yard cutting one out and just reconnecting the wires - so I did. When this was reconnected my dad said it didnt real make a noticeable difference so all he noticed was the exhaust blew out more black smoke. Worried that this was making his car worse we decided to disconnect it so that was that.

Finally the 3 other odd things occurring are

1) when he floors his gas quite alot of dark soot like smoke comes out for defo along with a seperate lighter bluey smoke - I think its blue because we're both colour blind you see but its far lighter though and you can certainly see them both.

2) when revving fairly high the exhaust appears to cough/choke if that makes sense

3) After revving faily high and the revs drop to about 12500, occasionally, the engine shakes quite hard - similar to when the engine is turned off.

Any advice on repairs I can carry out myself would be appreciated as I'm very keen on learning and thoroughly enjoy woking on motors where I can however I do understand if it has to be taken to a garage then so be it.

Thanks for any advice

CC

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Cheeky. There are some vital data missing above. Some can go in your user profile ("User CP" link), such as your location and vehicle year/model.

All that I know is that you are not in the US, since we never got that engine in any E class. I assume that it's a 210, but we get misdirected calls all the time; mostly for the 211.

It should be obvious that the sensor in question is essential to proper operation. Have you had the car connected up with the diagnostic scanner?

·
Registered
E-Class 300 TD 1998, E-Cllass 290 TDi 1996, 601 DKB 1982(207D)
117 Posts
Black smoke usually means that there is a lack of air for combustion to be good, what is the condition of the air filter ? The oil in the air filter in the bottom could come from the carter ventialtion, this is the hose coming from the gasket cover. Some oil is "normal" if it is a lot , what is the level of the motor-oil ? If it has been filled over max, the oil will come out via the ventilation. Clean it and check it over time. Also a defective EGR could cause the black smoke...have you ever tried to use an EGR cleaner-spray ?

Blue smoke is usually oil being burnt, what is the consumption of motor-oil ?

Concluding, als Matt already stated some more details of the car would be good....

Cheers,
Ingmar

·
Registered
(W210) Mercedes E320 CDI YEAR 2000 X reg (MANUAL AIR CON)
89 Posts
I had a similar problem. If i reved the car black smoke would poor out.

Does the car lock up on a certain rev after a car journey? mine did i think it was 30Xrpm

Also if you rev it very very slowly upwards does any black smoke come out? on my car it didn't only when u kicked it down.

Also u said that you are suffering from loss of power my car was still very powerfull and we didn't experience any shudder just what i said above.

Basically there isn't enough oxygen getting into the engine and the diesel is not fully burning and comes out of the exaust as black smoke.

Your EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION VALVE UNIT - Part needs to be replaced.(it costs £272)

(my dad reckons he could have fixed the part by first cleaing the whole unit in warm soapy water and then finally lubricating the spring inside the part as that was abit stiff. But we got it fixed by mercedes as we didn't know what the problem was and the fault would not come up on the diagnostic machine, there reason 4 this was and i qoute "it was not an electrical problem but a mechanical 1" so we just got it fixed by them, which was a first)

My dad recons that the part is not hard to take out, it is located under the cdi casing, which is on the right hand side near the back. It is quite a big part.

I'll post a pic 2morro if that helps?

·
Registered
117 Posts
.........Does the car lock up on a certain rev after a car journey? mine did i think it was 30Xrpm
This behaviour is normal when there is an error-condition...that should be readout with a diagnose system. It is to protect the car for any damage.
Normally this is resetted after stopping and starting again, but if the error-condition is persistent it will occur again.

Cheers,
Ingmar

·
Registered
89 Posts
My car always use to lock up at 30,000 revs after every journey/during. (when my dad came back from work we use to rev the car everyday and it would lock up at 30,000 revs) yes if car turned off car and turned on again you could rev it to the max point but would lock up again when in a journey.

Yeah we knew at the time that this was like a safety thing in order to prevent damage.

Cheers.

Have u experieced this problem also?

·
Registered
117 Posts
My car always use to lock up at 30,000 revs after every journey/during. (when my dad came back from work we use to rev the car everyday and it would lock up at 30,000 revs) yes if car turned off car and turned on again you could rev it to the max point but would lock up again when in a journey.

Yeah we knew at the time that this was like a safety thing in order to prevent damage.

Cheers.

Have u experieced this problem also?
Well...hmmmm 30.000 revs ? All migthy what kind of engine do you have then ? :)

Cheers,
Ingmar

·
Registered
89 Posts
(w210 - 210026 something something lol) It was defo linked to the problem with egr valve unit. The problem went away when new EGR valve unit was put in.

Doesn't do it anymore.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah...I had a similar issue with my MAF....it took me some time to figure this out, since then its running quitte good again.
Cheers,
Ingmar

·
Registered
89 Posts
hey cheekychapsta, read these links. They talk about what the EGR does. How long has this problem gone on for?

Understanding Exhaust Gas Recirculation Systems

EGR VALVE:

AN EGR VALVE (EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION) REDUCES THE NITROGEN OXIDE EMISSIONS IN THE EXHAUST GASES AND ROUTS THIS GAS BACK INTO THE IGNITION PROCESS, BY DOING THIS THE PEAK
COMBUSTION TEMPERATURE IS LOWER AND MAKES FOR A MORE
EFFICIENT BURN OF THE FUEL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts