Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced exhaust on my w123, and the subject of rubber donuts came up.
It seems that all 107s (and most other models of same vintage) should, according to EPC, use the simple round donuts. But, for some reason, the 560SLs use a different type. This type apparently has a metal chain encased in the rubber. Apparently so muffler/pipe does not completely fall off if donut fails.
Part 1074920044, I believe.
Anyone used these on earlier models?
The MB parts are about $27 each, but knock-offs a fraction of that.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
2,129 Posts
Hi Graham, I haven't used those but I'm pretty sure that the donuts my car came wirh were at least 20 years old, who knows maybe they were original. At any rate one of them was badly shot yet it was still very difficult to tear it apart... You'd need to be super unlucky for all 4x to fail.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Miko,
I have had similar experience having had my to old cars for 30 years. Never had a mufler or exhaust fall off. But I have had an individual donut break.

What I was puzzled by, was why the 560SL uses a specific heavier duty hanger that is not used on any other Benzes. OE costs $25! It could be that these hangers will work on all our 107s, but EPC doesn't say that. This is the hanger:

I currently have this type on my 123 - Vendor sites say they work with most 107s and 123s. OE costs just $7.00.

Then there are the donuts EPC says we should have OE $4.90

We can probably use any of these. Just a little puzzle as to what is special about the first type. Could be that only that one has the metal chain buried inside the rubber.

There are knock-offs of the first type, some for 1/10th of the OE price. Don't know if they have the chain inside!

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
2,129 Posts
Yes indeed Graham, so my 450 uses the last one from your post above, 4x to be precise. They defo don't have any chain, oerhaps the 560 one is shared with 126 chassis etc.? I've another 8 bungs as spares which should last me another 80-100 years 🤣

·
Registered
1986 560SL 200,000 km
82 Posts
I've just recently put some of the aftermarket donuts w/chain on my 560SL after having to regularly replace the "regular" type of donuts. I have learned that some "regular" donuts are available in "soft" and "hard" rubbers... some manufacturers do a good job showing that feature. I have not been able to determine whether soft or hard rubber is preferable in this application.

Alot of this issue of broken donuts can also be attributed to the hanger used on replacement exhaust parts. The hangers on my replacement exhaust had sharp corners which needed some filing to round the edges. Also, the alignment of the hangers is important... poorly aligned hangers may cause broken donuts.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just recently put some of the aftermarket donuts/chain on my 560SL after having to regularly replace the "regular" type of donuts. I have learned that some "regular" donuts are available in "soft" and "hard" rubbers... some manufacturers do a good job showing that feature. I have not been able to determine whether soft or hard rubber is preferable in this application.

Alot of this issue of broken donuts can also be attributed to the hanger used on replacement exhaust parts. The hangers on my replacement exhaust had sharp corners which needed some filing to round the edges. Also, the alignment of the hangers is important... poorly aligned hangers may cause broken donuts.
I should look at my SL exhaust soon, but my current interest is my 85 300D. I put a new exhaust on it using ANSA pipes/mufflers which are supposed to be OE. There is contact at places. I may have to modify one bracket and may have to try different hangers that might help pull the exhaust away from the contact points. Just put in new motor mounts, so engine may be sitting higher and adding to the problem. But this is not 107 stuff - just my current car problem :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts