Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just found out that I am having some excessive wear on my right side (front and back) and it is to the point where a new set of tires is needed. The car has only 16k miles from new and the original tires are 'Goodyear Eagle F1 235/45ZR17'.<br> <br> I am concerned over the wear after only 16k miles and also why the wear is excessive only on the right side. Any thoughts on this?<br> <br> Well my questions to the forum are which tires should I look at for replacement? Opinions and Thoughts are welcome.<br> <br> Thanks<br> Mark<br> <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do you make a lot of hard left turn? Vehicle weight transfer to one side can certainly make this scenario to happen. I experienced premature wear on my left side since I was running hard right all the time. You cannot believe the difference in tread wear.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like Frank said, unless you make hard left turns, these tires shouldnt wear like that. I have same rubber on my '01E430, 17K miles and all four wear evenly. I set the pressure slightly higher than recommended (for under 100mph driving) becasue I wanted the slightly harsher ride. If yours is wearing that bad in nromal driving, have the suspension checked. It may not be the tire at all. BTW, I don't like these tires at all because they lack lateral stability, especially when you hit a bump. For replacement, I'm looking at the B'Stone S03 or the Michelin Pilot Sports. The S03 is relatively inexpensive, I have them on my 89 300ZX and they are great. Also, go to MBWorld.org and check the tire/wheels section. Tire Rack has an article there on the best tires available/tested.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I practically swear by michelin pilot sports, and michelins in general, but if you are going to drive the car really hard, pilot sports make noise on really hard turns for a while, then the break free. (quiet on the freeway though) Pirelli Pzeros are far more predictable vs the pilot sports, but you cant beat pilot sports in the rain, you could, not endorsing it here, nor do i accept liability for, you can literally switch lanes at 100mph in the rain no problem...wet and dry the pilot sports are awesome.<br> <br> What I mean by Pzero vs Pilot sports is that the pirellis you can tell when they are going to break free, but the pilot sports you cant. I am sure that most people will never come to those limits, but from experience in cars with these tires, this is what I have noticed.<br> <br> I bet that the right side of your car has some funny alignment problems, take it in and see if its within specs.<br> <br> Austin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts