Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz S430 with AMG Pkg
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys/Girls:

I have a 2003 S430 4Matic with AMG package riding on 18" (245 45 18's). I go through tires every 9000 to 12000 kms. At that point i am at the wear bars on the Tires. I change tires once a year.

I have changed almost the entire suspension setup, controil arms, ball joints and had numerous alignments to confirm this is not the problem.

IS THIS NORMAL? Do other S class owners riding on 18's or higher have the same problem?

I have had Toyo, Falken, Dunlop on this vehicle and always the same problem. Would be interested to hear if others have this problem also.

Thanks - Matt

·
Registered
Silver 2010 S550
257 Posts
I had a similar situation with the 20" rims I had on my 2000 S430. I tried Pirelli, Toyo, and Michelin and I came to learn that I was underinflating my tires which was helping to beat them up a bit extra. Recently I got a late night flat on a Michelin with only about 2000 miles on it and I got fed up and went back to stock 16". I'm already getting sick of looking at the 16" although the ride is much smoother. It's a heavy car so make sure there's enough air in there.

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
I have the amg 18s on my s500 and my back tires wore out in like 10k. Seems like thats how long they last. It sucks but it is what it is

·
Registered
2003 S600, 2002 C320 Wagon
156 Posts
I have the 18 inch rims with the staggered set up (245's front and 275's rear) and I still have just over a quarter inch of tread left on my Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's which have run 18,000 Km. I suspect I should be able to get about 30,000 Km from them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How good is your wheel alignment?

"Within specs" is probably the answer, but why is it the answer and your tires are wearing out?

Because the cars lack proper adjustment, so the specs are broad enough to cover manufacturing tolerances.

That's what sucks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moved to Kumho Solus KH16

I will let everyone know how long these (Kumho) last!

I have now replaced the entire front end suspension (except airmatic).

Car has been aligned and is running smooth. Lets see how long these tires last.

I have had Michelin, Dunlop, Yoko, Toyo and Falken on this car and never gotten more than 12,000 kms out of any of them!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nobody listens...

It's simply no good to say that the alignment is 'within specs'. It has to be RIGHT. K-Mac camber and caster kits get it right, cut the tire wear right back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hank

This is the first i have heard of this kit.

Have you personally installed on an S Class with 18" AMG tire setup?

·
Registered
W209 CLK500 & W220 S430
320 Posts
I have the AMG 18"s on my S500 and my back tires wore out in like 10k.

Seems like that's how long they last.

It sucks but it is what it is.
Less when you drift the car . . .

20k miles is way good !

Red, *<:){)-

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, I don't have an AMG, but I have adviseed owners of the AMG to go with them, along with owners of other Mercedes models.

Nobody came back and complained, some got back and said they were great.

But I find it strange you've never heard of them, they've been making them for over fifteen years.

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
Haha Red that's funny , I had michelin pilot sports on the car and for some reason the back tires only lasted 10-12k. Probably really soft rubber , I'm trying falkens this time so we'll see how long they last.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Either the inside edge or the outside edge wore first?

Like I keep saying, it's an alignment issue and the factory doesn't provide sufficient adjustment to overcome production tolerances. Additionally, the rubber bushes, with their 'voids' especially, will take on a 'set' after time and not centralise. Not to mention that they will move and change the actual 'live' setting as you drive.

So, as I posted before, doen't anybody listen? Go to the K-Mac website, save some tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts