Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes 280SL
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pumping the gas there's an annoying inch or so before the pedal engages. Any suggestions for the best way to adjust this out? I can't tell if it's something that can be dickered with in the footwell or whether it's an adjustment in the cable under the hood?

Any suggestions much appreciated
Cheers
Ben

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,777 Posts
Probably a worn out bushing in the linkage under the hood. It is not a cable system.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,777 Posts
I would say so. Maybe someone has a picture. I don't have one for Kjet.

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
To build upon rowdie's advice, this link will show you the throttle linkage. Remove the air cleaner and, engine off, have an assistant press and release the pedal while you watch its actuation under the hood to determine what's not right.

Going here, by the way, will reveal the entire library of R107 service info, all free (and courtesy of our brother Sokoloff who discovered this alternative to buying the plagiarized, discontinued official service CD from the Pirates of E-Bay.)

Good road,

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,374 Posts
The same thing has been bugging mine. The answer is found in Chapter 30 of the 116 engine manual.

At either end of the control rod is a ball and socket joint. These need to be replaced. I just ordered replacements myself from these guys Mercedes Benz of Gainesville - Gainesville,Jacksonville, Ocala, Mercedes-Benz Parts, Mercedes-Benz Service, Used Cars Dan Mannweiler has been most helpful.

I expect the parts to arrive today or Tuesday at which time I will install them. I plan to do a couple photos and post it up here, so stay tuned. In my case the front had disintegrated but it drove for years that way, with an inch of play. Just two days ago the rear went and the rod, being unsupported, just twisted in the wind when I gave it the gas, had to sort of idle home!

·
Registered
1983 Mercedes 280SL
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The same thing has been bugging mine. The answer is found in Chapter 30 of the 116 engine manual.
Thanks for that. Looks as though the answer must be amongst all the information. Seems to talk about making adjustments at full throttle. I think when the pedal is firmly depressed the throttle is as open as it should be. I shall thoroughly unpack these PDFs and find the solution.

In my case, when the pedal rests, it rests to far. It's just finding a way for it to stop slightly before it resets fully. I've filmed a little youtube clip. If anyone can recommend what looks like the best part to adjust that would be very helpful.

The small movements at the beginning of the movie are pressing the pedal before it actually opens the throttle. That's the amount of play.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,374 Posts
These Helped

I got these yesterday and put them in quite easily, they helped a lot. A small amount of slack remains in the system which I can now adjust out I think. But hey, that tiny clip is bodacious, very difficult to install, fortunately steel and retrievable with a long mag screw driver. :)

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,134 Posts
What is the name of the ball and socket joint that you ordered from the dealer in gainsville?
Thank you,
Troy Scott
What kind of car do you have...........please fill out your profile.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,226 Posts
I have had that throttle ball completely disintegrate in the 380SL; On my core 380SL engine, I noticed that the linkage between the throttle actuator and throttle body was very loose; I had a spare, and upon comparison I found that there is a nylon bearing inside that disintegrated.

At this age, all of these plastic parts are suspect.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,374 Posts
Diagram 320/3 in the 110 manual Chapter 30 Throttle Control, labels them as 2 & 2a on both ends, and 11 on the firewall, "Bearing for longitudinal regulating shaft"

Edit -- I keep saying 110 engine but of course I mean 116. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts