Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430 Cab
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to adjust the camber for excesive outer front tire wear? I have tires with about 60% + life left that are both worn to slick on the outside. I know there are camber bolts for front end alignment but how are these adjusted to bring the wheel to a proper camber? Has anyone DIY or is it strictly an alignment shop job? I'm getting quotes that say the charge for aligning is $100 to $250 depending on whether new bolts are needed...

·
Registered
37 Posts
That price isn't unreasonable.

You can get it close at home if you know what you are doing, but you'll never be as good as the lasers.

·
Registered
2004 CLK500 (Wifes), (2) 2005 ML500SE, 2004 ML500, 2000 ML320, 2002 ML320
68 Posts
Have not checked prices for a couple of years, but either a Longacre or Smart Camber Basic Camber/Caster gauge was about $ 150, and the adapter to fit
MB wheels is about $ 160. Basic toe in bars run $ 50 to $ 100.

Excessive Toe in will wear tires on the outside edge also, and the tires will have a feathered edge.

The fluted bolts are used when the alignment cannot be brought into spec with the original bolts. They are the bolts that attach the lower control arm to the sub frame.

Short Answer.

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,471 Posts
Outer wear can be too much toe-in, too much positive cambre as well as worn ball joints. Have you checked for play in the ball joints?

IF all is ok then you can adjust the cambre by around 3mm (Enough to make a difference) by using bolts you can get from Mercedes for the Brabus, that use a special washer and V-notch set up. I used them on mine as my inner tyres were wearing due to lowering which corrected my issue. If you search you'll find my posts.

·
Registered
02 CLK55 AMG
60 Posts
I'm getting quotes that say the charge for aligning is $100 to $250 depending on whether new bolts are needed...
What kind of shops are you going to ? Those prices aren't that bad. It's worth getting a quality job done by someone with experience with the vehicle type.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts