Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ml320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us having excessive oil comsumption problems, should file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. This might be the only way to make Mercedes to face the problem if enough people complaint about it. I know this is not only happening to me but almost everybody who owns a ML. Having to put a qt of oil every 6-7 hundred miles in the engine is not normal. Even my service advisor said the same thing, but there's nothing that they can do unless Mercedes authorize the repair. Mercedes is treating us like idiots. Let face it, united is power. Lets flood the NHTSA with complaints and get the repair that we deserve.
You can file at www.nhtsa.dot.gov or call 888-327-4236. Or even write to: US Dept of Transportation,
NHTSA, Office of desects investigation, NSA-1001, 400 7th Street SW, Washington DC, 20590

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,140 Posts
I don't think I'd say "almost everybody who owns a ML" has the problem. I've never had any oil consumption problems with my 2001 ML320. AFAIK, the main problem was with the 1997 to late 1999 production runs, which were factory filled with “organic� oil and then later changed with full synthetic. There has already been a settlement over that where those engines were given a 100,000-mile warranty.

You have a MY2002? I’ve not heard of any oil consumption problems with those. Is it possible you may have a specific engine problem causing it? I do know that MBZ’s definition of “excessive� is a far cry from what we average “reasonable� people consider “excessive�, but I just don’t believe it’s such a chronic problem.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
ML 320
361 Posts
The previous post is confusing two seperate issues.

One issue is that there is an oil sludging problem caused by the use of regular oil. The W163 engine must use synthetic to prevent this sludging problem. As a result of a lawsuit, I believe that 97-2000 models are covered by the extended warranty, which ONLY covers engine problems related to sludging.

The second issue of oil consumption is a different. It is a known problem on 98-99 model years. There is a TSB on the issue and describes some things that can be done to address the issue. I have also heard of rare cases of oil consumption in latter model years, but have seen no info about a specific cause or fix.

·
Registered
2002 ml320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have a 2002 ML. My oil comsumption is about 1 qt for every 700 miles driven. Mercedes said this is within the spec, so they refuse to do anything about it. This problem not only happens to 98-00 models. According to my SA, the magic number is between 30 to 40 thousand miles then the excessive consumption begins. This is known to all the dealers. But until MB acknowledge the problem, there is nothing to be done. This is a totally arrogant of Mercedes. That's why we have to complaint about it and let the problem to be heard.

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
koivan - 5/4/2005 10:45 PM

I do have a 2002 ML. My oil comsumption is about 1 qt for every 700 miles driven. Mercedes said this is within the spec, so they refuse to do anything about it. This problem not only happens to 98-00 models. According to my SA, the magic number is between 30 to 40 thousand miles then the excessive consumption begins. This is known to all the dealers. But until MB acknowledge the problem, there is nothing to be done. This is a totally arrogant of Mercedes. That's why we have to complaint about it and let the problem to be heard.
ummm... without being presumptuous, I hope you aren't trying to solicit sympathetic voices and use that as evidence to try to sue MBUSA.

That's not what this board is for.

Most of us have way over "30 to 40 thousand miles" and don't have your problem. And it's not something all the dealers know and are in some weird conspiracy against you.

If you TRULY beleive you have a case, and your dealer doesn't want to help you, take your ML to another dealer's service dept and try them.

If they refuse repairs too, then contact your regional rep.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,111 Posts
koivan - 5/4/2005 7:45 PM

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration deals with Safety issues--while I know you are distressed with your oil consumption, I don't think it qualifies as a safety issue. I have had no consumption problem on my '98, BTW.

·
Registered
2001 ML 320
28 Posts
While I know there is an inordinate amout of ML's with oil consumption problems i don't think the NHSTB is the proper agency to complain to unless your vehicle is spewing oil onto the roadway and causing a safety hazard. I don't believe this is the case. I have brought my 2001 320 back so many times for tests, the dealership, which admits it is an issue, has to hold the company line and say it is within spec. BTW i drop a qt. every 700-800 mis. and this is since new and has never changed in 50K mis. The dealership however does put in a qt. for free as a drive in service whenever the light comes on. My ML has only had Mobil 1 since new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts