Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mechanic that did my ball joints managed to over torque all of my lug bolts on the front, one of which I was unable to remove and ended up bending my tire iron that came with the car. In doing so the head of the lug bolt rounded off a little. How the hell am I going to get this thing out?? I've got to replace the strut with a Bilstein and a new strut mount and I'll also need to remove the wheel so I can get my winter tires put on soon. What is the best method to getting this bitch off? Hammering on a smaller socket with a much much larger breaker bar?? And what if it turns out to be cross threaded and the bolt just snaps and needs to be drilled out? Can the hub be re-tapped or am I fudged?? I've been putting off doing this because I'm afraid of what could happen but I'm gonna try it soon.

·
Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
I think you have little choice but to use a 1/2 drive socket and a long bar. If you snap it off, you will be then tearing into it but what other choice do you have.
Good chance it will come free rather than snap, but if you need to hammer a socket on, you have little choice. At least then you have a good bite on it.

aardvark

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think you have little choice but to use a 1/2 drive socket and a long bar. If you snap it off, you will be then tearing into it but what other choice do you have.
Good chance it will come free rather than snap, but if you need to hammer a socket on, you have little choice. At least then you have a good bite on it.

aardvark
How come you are not pushing "COKE". :D

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Ha!
Can't get to it, and it's pressure/torque issue. Not corrosion;

·
Registered
190D
344 Posts
I would go ahead snap the bolt off, then go Get a used hub from junk yard, no more than $20, take it back to the same jackass who messed it up and tell him to put it back together FREE OF CHARGE ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The idea of changing the hub scares me but if I have too I will. I know it's not advisable but I'd run with only 4 lugs for a little while, just so I can get to work. I'm really hoping it just breaks free and comes out but with the way it feels I wouldn't be totally surprised if it's cross threaded. If I wasn't such a nice guy I woulda jumped all over the mechanic when I found out but he has the cheapest shop rate I've ever seen and most of the time won't even charge you for all the time he spent. This is the first time he's screwed me as well but I guess he is responsible so he should take care of it.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
So, if you can't get it off, drive the car over and have the mechanic (as I call him loosely) remove it. Sounds like he air wrenched the succa on. Never let them do that. What if you were on the road on a trip right now with a blown tire, sitting on the shoulder.

Personally I would try what I suggested in my first post to you. Just keep pressure on it even.

I always carry a 1/2 drive socket with a deep well on it, and a 2 1/2 ft long bar. Torque (if I recall) should be around 90lbs. Many on Benz World don't like my method, but I always use a very fine drop or two of " anti seize " on the threads, due to the salt winters and corrosion we have here. Some say it chances the lugs coming loose . It has never happened.

Again, good luck.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Use an extractor.

When we got my sister's replacement 190E the front right wheel had standard bolts (18 or 19mm) that fit SNUG in the wheel holes for the bolts. Could not get any wrench in there so we drove it to the local shop to have them extracted. Replaced with standard lug bolts and all is well.

·
Registered
1989 190E 2.6
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Turns out we can't do it, snapped one 5/8's half in drive socket in half

Went and bought an air gun socket and hammered it on the best we could and all it did was round the end of the bolt off and bugger everything up.

Thinkin about taking it to the place that did my alignment and seeing if they have an extractor and can take it out. Does anyone know if a front wheel hub from a 2.3 will work for a 2.6? There's one down at the local junk yard.

**Update** Took it to the place that did my alignment and the guy hammered on a socket and took it right off with an air gun and put the new one in free of charge. I'm so relieved that the hub is fine. Installed the other Bilstein and strut mount and now the car handles like its on rails:eclipsee_steering:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts