Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport & 2010 GLK350
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So We have the 2009 GLK about a year old now with 12k miles, not so long ago we notices it sounding a bit rough when putting the car into gear, reverse or Drive before taking the foot off the brake and pulling away. More recently this seems to have gotten worse so we took it to the dealership to be checked out. You can really hear and feel the noise and vibration when stationary and in gear, at first turning the Air off made it a lot better but now not so much. With your foot on the break move the gear from N to D or after driving when coming to a red light or stop and completely stopping it starts. It is so bad now that not only can you feel it in the steering wheel, seat and pedals but when cold there is now a vibration rattle of something in the back of the vehicle!

When we test drove the car and when we first purchased it, we remember how quiet it was, coming to a light my wife would laugh and say wow, is the engine still running. If it was like it is now we wouldn’t of purchased the car in the first place, not the sort of experience I would expect from a lux car manufacture and not something even the fords of the world deliver.

We got the car back yesterday after the dealer had it for a week, the end result is that we are told this is completely NORMAL and should be expected from the GLK or C 4Matic versions. They told me Mercedes engineering had been consulted and this is normal which I really cannot believe. How can you buy a vehicle that changes so much over just 1 year duration?

We have been told, this is normal for the 4Matic and will be worse when cold, it’s related to the engine oil and the AC will put load on the engine which will also make the issue more pronounced.

Before I write a letter of complaint to Mercedes, and look to trade in for another make!!! It would be really helpful if anyone with the GLK 4Matic could let me know what their experience has been regarding this issue. I am going to try and record the noise and post a link to the sound file but in the meantime, if you have or have not experienced this type of problem, please post.

Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
GLK350 2011 Gone, B200 Turbo CVT 2009 Gone, GL320 CDI 2008, B200 Turbo CVT 2006 Gone
354 Posts
No vibration here at all.
NO harsh shifting.
There is a noticable delay between GLK and GL shifting.
GLK takes much longer between D and Reverse or Neutral.
Shifting is very smooth.

Compare it with a new car at the dealership.
Should not be normal.

Looks like issue with some mounts either engine or exhaust touching the body of the car.

I had it on the GL only noticable at winter time when rpms were higher.

exhaust was touching the body causing the vibration. Dealer fixed all.

Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
Cayenne,GLK350,X5,SLK350,SRX,A6
18 Posts
Start the engine cold and take a walk around. Check the multi-layers chrome tips of those exhaust pipes. The left rear tip may be loose.

·
Registered
2010 GLK, 4matic, Iridium Silver
14 Posts
I would recommend taking it to another dealership. It cannot be normal. We have had our 2010 since March of 09 and still running quite and smooth. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, I have the same problem. Had the oil changed last week and told them to check it out. Dealer said it was low on PS fluid. They said they topped it off.
Vibration is still there and yes, there is a rattle/noise from the back that was never there before.
I thought it was just me and my picky ears.
Off to the dealer tomorrow to stir the pot.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Make sure your tires are not overly inflated with air,make sure it has the right psi,I have heard of people driving SUV with over inflated tires which make noise under the vehicle,and also vibrating steering wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry for bringing this thread out from the dead.

Technician here at a Mercedes Benz dealer is having the same problem.
we have been at it for hours.
We have had multiple technicians try to diagnose the car, we are now taking the exhaust off to resettle, and attempt to clear this vibration and this rough sound. No Diagnostics have led us in any direction, so I was just wondering if anyone had come up with a resolution for this problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 GLK 220 CDI 4 matic Blue efficency
1 Posts
I have just bought a used 2009 GLK 220 cdi automatic and when it has started to be colder I have problem with putting into reverse or drive. The motor starts perfect in Parking position, but when I put into the mentioned positions the motor sais "honk honk" and the stops. After repeated attempts I manage to drive and when motor is warm everything work ok. During the first 10 minutes it has a tendency to drive on when I lift the gas pedal and I have to push the brake hard to keep the car not running away.
Are there any experiences with this problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts