Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recommend this be a sticky, although ultimately beyond my control

This is from my experience issues and answers to questions I see a lot of, I will add more with comments. I will expect this list to grow quickly.

Common Questions:

Q. Can I make my non turbo, and turbo?
A. Short answer - No. You really wont gain alot, and while technically you can just add the turbo piece, It really won't work, You will kill the engine and alot more. If you really want turbo buy another engine and do a swap.

Q. What Kind of oil should I use?
A. 15W40 in warm, 5W40 in cold, I use castro syntec, But rotella Is good 15w40 for the price.

Q. I bought my first 300D/240D what should I do?
A. DRIVE it! Especially if it has been sitting around for a while, drive it! Diesels are different. Use some lucus injector cleaner.

Q. What work should I do when I first get it?

Oil Change.
Valve Adjustment
Valve Cover Gasket
BOTH Fuel Filters.
Air Filter,
I would also check your breaks, battery, and alternator. (plenty of places check these for free)

Common Diagnoses:

Tranny Issues

9/10 it’s actually your vacuum system and not your tranny,
Take it to a place that knows what they are doing, It will be worth it. Don’t take it to a tranny place either. Take it to an imported auto type place.

I need a new caliper

Go to NAPA, they have rebuilt ones for 35 dollars.

Seat Springs are broken

Get bed springs from an old mattress, (will elaborate later)

Not starting when cold

Make sure to buy good glow plugs (bosch)
Try using 5W40 Oil
Consider a block heater
Check Valves
Move To florida

Turn key off, Car still running
Vacuum issues

My car is slow

Why did you buy a diesel mercedes in the first place?

turbo 300d is 0-60 in 15 Seconds Non turbo is 19.

Odometer Not working, or only when its cold

Odomdeter Repair

·
Registered
238 Posts
Duh!

How about starting the ignition before moving the car. how about pressing the brake before stopping the car? How about pulling the door handle before opening the door? Any other brainiac statements?

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2004 E320 wagon, 2006 CLS55,
1,051 Posts
Doug; chill. Many, many first time w123 diesel owners ask the same questions, and that is a great first question list. Remember not everyone is a mechanic or a car person. Some just buy a car and turn the key and think it goes.

It is a list more for diesel powered w123's- the 200D, 240D/CD/TD and 300D/CD/TD.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see these questions alot, and I will probably think of more, And If people had a place to get a quick answer to them...

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
How about starting the ignition before moving the car. how about pressing the brake before stopping the car? How about pulling the door handle before opening the door? Any other brainiac statements?
Um.. wow?

This is an excellent newbie list, and it should be added to, and put at the top where newbies can read it... we were all newbies once. I'm a certified diesel technician, and an extremely competent mechanic. I still have a lot of questions/findings about these cars- they're simple but they're also very different from the majority of cars out there.

People are still going to have a lot of questions, but it would be nice to reduce the "can I add a turbo to my N/A diesel???" types of threads which have been covered over and over...

·
Registered
1984 Medium Blue 300D Turbo
135 Posts
Q. I bought my first 300D/240D what should I do?
A. DRIVE it! Especially if it has been sitting around for a while, drive it! Diesels are different. Use some lucus injector cleaner.
Totally. I bought my 300D-T 18 months ago, and it didn't really get running well until I drove it long distance at highway speed. After that trip (about 150 miles each way, non-stop) it ran smoother, and quieter and just overall "better."

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
Q: My car is really hard to start\doesn't start in the cold
A: Check the Glow plugs!!!! and make sure your valves are properly adjusted

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,062 Posts
If it's going to be a sticky or even an on-going thread, could we go back to the original posts and fix the spelling, punctuation, and wrong word errors. Sorry, not meant to sound critical, I just think it's worth cleaning up. (I volunteer to edit it if someone wants...)

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
There are no specific answers to questions about our cars in terms of troubleshooting a problem. When a problem arises, the best we can do as a collective is point the owner to possible problem areas and let him or her look up the information stored in the archive (this forum) to diagnose and repair the problem.

That said, this Q & A thread, although it sounds good initially, will eventually fail in the long term because not everybody has the same problem, and this board is not limited to the US or Canada.

The best this forum can do in terms of Q & A is provide the information for owners and users to learn and educate themselves. If more problems arise, then the communication begins to slowly piece the puzzle together and figure out what's what. Not all W123's out there are in original factory condition. Some have been modified by previous owners to the extent that rumaging through the archives won't help.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
There are no specific answers to questions about our cars in terms of troubleshooting a problem. When a problem arises, the best we can do as a collective is point the owner to possible problem areas and let him or her look up the information stored in the archive (this forum) to diagnose and repair the problem.

That said, this Q & A thread, although it sounds good initially, will eventually fail in the long term because not everybody has the same problem, and this board is not limited to the US or Canada.

The best this forum can do in terms of Q & A is provide the information for owners and users to learn and educate themselves. If more problems arise, then the communication begins to slowly piece the puzzle together and figure out what's what. Not all W123's out there are in original factory condition. Some have been modified by previous owners to the extent that rumaging through the archives won't help.
I think Pat's post best sums it up.

Fleebailey, I appreciate your enthusiasm in wanting to help out your fellow W123 owners, but I don't think this Q & A thread is the best way to go about that. I'll send you a PM.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
fair enough,

still think there should be something better, i mean people do post alot of the same questions, and it is tiresome to respond to all of them.

/me folds

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree, but the point would be to eliminate lots of repeat questions, I agree with all the posts not one answer fits all, but some do fit alot.

·
Registered
1985 300D W123 Cali
1,408 Posts
if it's too tiresome to answer questions that have been asked before, then don't answer them...My guess is that someone else will be up to the task.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts