Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 300SE
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everythink works, except

Every component on my 89 300SE is operational, except the "Off" position for the cruise control lever. That is, I can Set, Resume, increase, and decrease speed using the lever. But pushing the lever away from the whell, Off position, does not disable the cruise control. Only way to disable it, which is not a big deal, is by taping on the brakes.

Is there an easy fix for this very minor problem?

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
I would be inclined to take it to the shop to get looked at there is another thred here where a guy cannot get the contol to turn off.

·
Registered
89 300SE
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw that thread right after posting my message. He has more serious problems. That was scary. I am not a big fan of dealers. I am DIY. I'll do search on cruise control to see what I find. I was hoping that someone has experienced this problem, and addressed the issue.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,461 Posts
Hi,

Broken Record Department here.

The CDs have good info on them, along with tips for the rest of the car as well....

$20 + shipping........

You're 'close'. I wonder if one can pick up at MBUSA & save the $5 shipping charge?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I'd wager your stalk is worn out...I'd wager a new one would remedy the problem.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
When I got my 16v, the cruise stalk worked the same way yours does. After I disassembled it, I noticed that the "off" position actually breaks the circuit between two contacts inside the stalks housing. Judging by the age of it, I decided to just replace the stalk with a new one. That's also my advice to you. :)

·
Registered
89 300SE
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll replace the stalk with a new one, and see what happens.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
82 300SD blu/tan 145K 83 300SD sil/gray 300K
1 Posts
My crusie went out. JC whitney easy install/fix, via spedo sending unit $130.00 and i yanked out all that vacumme mess. Also replaced all the door locking systems with power/remote - $60.00 complete and work nice. If anyone needs 8 air plunger locking units they all work, also 2 of the compressor units from the trunk they all work if anyone needs those parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts