Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML 500
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ball joints?

i was warned, right after i bought my ml that the ball joints were likely to fail (by somebody who works for the ball joint manufacturer). the reason given was that in northern areas (where winter driving includes salted roads) they corrode away.

anybody else have to do this?

is approx $700 (installed) for the pair reasonable (i just agreed when the service rep called. the truck was in for other work today).

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
There are a number of M's in climates which use salt and other corrosive road treatments but no widespread outcry of ball joint failure has been noted. Which ball joints are failing: the ones on the tie rod ends or the ones on the wishbone ends?

·
Registered
2002 ML 500
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm embarassed to say i don't know. [:I]

i'll dig out the repair order to see if that says (i had the do the work).

the service rep called me to tell me that this work needed doing. he said it was discovered during the inspection (state safety inspection). i couldn't decide whether that was suspicious ('who looks at ball joints during a state inspection?') or natural ('this car has faulty ball joints').

my warranty just ended, so this repair is on me.

i had intended to get the ball joints looked at by a friend before the warranty ended, but neglected it because i didn't really think it was that serious (i've never had to replace ball joints on a car, and i drive them a lot of miles). no i'm wishing i had, and wondering if i'm going to have to do this every 50k miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts