Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have owned 4 MB's, currently have 2 of them. This is a first...1997 E420 with 57K. Last week the bracket that is (was) welded to the frame and is supposed to hold the top of the spring broke off the frame. Suddenly, a loud pop and a poor handling car. I took it to the shop where my mechanic indicated we were pretty lucky. The bracket broke loose and was resting on the brake line which was undamaged. He showed me the bracket...looks pretty flimsy. Normally, it should not have rusted and broken loose there but it appeared that the joint between the two was simply not sealed well and it allowed water to sit in the joint. Anybody ever had this happen to them?

·
Registered
'00 ML430, '97 E320
165 Posts
I assume you are talking about the front spring perch? I have read a few warnings about this but my inspections on my 97 E320 show no signs of rust. I assume the signs are obvious.

·
Registered
E220T cdi
28 Posts
Sadly to say but Mercedes W210 rusts like nothing else!

You should take a look at the link below and check if your car has the same symptoms, mine has all four doors and Mercedes did change two of them without charge, but the other two was repainted by former owner and I couldn'd verify that this was done at Mercedes, so take a look!

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?t=101394

Morgan

·
Registered
180 Posts
Contact NTSB and Mercedes. Demand that Mercedes pay for the repair. Demand NTSB initiate a safety recall. This is unacceptable in a Yugo. This problem is well known. Imagine the consequences of a suspension failure at high speed.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 528i,1999 Lexus 400LS, 2014 e250 BlueTec
635 Posts
RE: Ever heard of this one? Spring purch falling apart!

Yes, in this forum. This is stupid and very shameful basic problem with MBZ manufacturing process control.
Can this be with MBZ!
The spring perch is supposed to be welded into body and over coated with thick rust proof compound.
No. 1. if it was properly welded, it should never have fallen apart like that.
No. 2, If it was properly under coated with rust proof compound, it should never have rusted through like that.
I believe limited % of MBZ are like that because they lost control of process.
Absolutely, no excuse for that. MBZ was never not like that! What has happened with them?
I spray with WD-40 around the spring perch once a month to avoid your situation. It is too late when it happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts