Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ever get flashed because of your european lights?

1623 12
i have the european headlights and every once and a while people flash me when i just have my regular lights on, the lighting is soo much better than the regular US lights,i seldom get flashed because people think my brights are on and then i turn the brights on and then they really get blinded, does anybody else have this problem?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
190 E 2.3-16 Euro
26 Posts
I had to quick replace my 9003s with Wal-Mart Sylvanias because one of my lights was out a...

I had to quick replace my 9003s with Wal-Mart Sylvanias because one of my lights was out and the wattage is like half of my originals. I want to order some more high wattages. Any suggestions?

· Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
check your focus...

Yes, they are much better - Euro lights are well worth the investment. One of the first things I noticed when I immigrated to Canada and started driving was that I felt I was driving by candlelight!

I have a set of Euros in my 190D and can't agree that people flash though - they're far less bright to oncoming traffic than the Xenon lights in many new European cars over here.

I'd recommend checking your focus, and even focussing them down a touch. Even with really bright low beams, if they're not in the eyes of the oncoming drivers, they shouldn't be too bad. A really nice option is to track down a Euro light switch and hook up the vacuum lines so that you can actually turn the focus down from inside the car when necesary (i.e. when there is a load of stuff in the boot).

I'm running 55w low beam, and 100w high beam. I was tempted to pick up a set of 80/100w but figured I may risk getting nicked for having lights too bright. The 100w high beams are wonderful. In regards to where to get them, I know they are available over here, I think at speciality European parts suppliers (perhaps try Ron at German Star?) - although I bring mine back (+ spares) in my suitcases from overseas trips I do.

· Registered
190 E 2.3-16 Euro
26 Posts
Thanks Max. I'm looking for the 80/100 like I had. I'll just have to check around a bit ...

Thanks Max. I'm looking for the 80/100 like I had. I'll just have to check around a bit more! Luckily I have hella FF200 lights on there too so I'm not exactly hurting for light. Those things'll give you a sunburn just looking at them.
[8D]

· Registered
1993 190e 2.6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have the 80/100 in US, are they illegal in the states? german star has replacement bulbs...

i have the 80/100 in US, are they illegal in the states? german star has replacement bulbs as well?

· Registered
1987 300D Turbo
5 Posts
MercedesMax-
Do you have any photos of your 190DT Turbo? My brother has one and I just l...

MercedesMax-
Do you have any photos of your 190DT Turbo? My brother has one and I just love it. Here's a photo of my brothers'. His has a little over 140K now and it also has the dual power seats option that is hard to find on 190's of the 80's, not to mention on the 190DT.
Thanks-

Attachments

· Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
here you go...

Here's a pic of the 190DT before I fitted the Euro lights. It has a dark blue MB Tex interior - doesn't have power seats or heated seats (which my wife misses after having them in her Jetta) but has everything else that I can think of. It was the colour that sold it for her - when she saw it in the paper, she said "call up, if it's blue, it's mine". That was that (after all, how many of you would be brave enough to disobey an order like that from the boss?).

I think it has about 200,000km, so about the same mileage as yours. It won't be a low mileage car for long, we live way out in the middle of nowhere - some days it's a 200km round trip to work for my wife and up to 120km for me in my 240D. My SL has the opposite problem - I just can't get enough miles on it, now my calipers are starting to sieze!!!

I couldn't help but notice there is a 190DT for sale in the Star this month (MB Club USA mag).

In relation to Underground's question - I'm lead to believe that the legal wattage for headlights is 45/55w - but this is for cars that have sealed beam units (depends upon state I think). I think the laws have changed, but whether that means you can now upgrade headlights or not is another question. I figure it's worth the risk - how much is the fine going to be when you say "but officer, I bought the car like this"
[;)]

Attachments

· Registered
190E 2.6 , 1996 E300
101 Posts
Euro headlights and clear corners

I have a 91 190E 2.6 and need to replace the lenses due to road ware. I'm contemplating upgrading to Euros, which ones would anyone recommend. i seem them on ebay for ~250-300 for the pair. do they come with corners? If anyone has changed to clear corners, are they happy? some of the ones I've seen ($30 for the pair) don't match the headlight lenses, they look plastic and white (not really clear). i'm assuming they are the cheap ones. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1993 190e 2.6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Euro headlights and clear corners

I have a 91 190E 2.6 and need to replace the lenses due to road ware. I'm contemplating upgrading to Euros, which ones would anyone recommend. i seem them on ebay for ~250-300 for the pair. do they come with corners? If anyone has changed to clear corners, are they happy? some of the ones I've seen ($30 for the pair) don't match the headlight lenses, they look plastic and white (not really clear). i'm assuming they are the cheap ones. Thanks in advance.
hey, i recommend the bosche set, they come with the regular corners, i never liked the look of the clear side corners but they do come with the amber corners, makes the car look ten times better :) hope that helps

· Registered
2000 c280 Sport
43 Posts
The thing I've noticed with the clear corners (as weel as the amber) when mated with the...

The thing I've noticed with the clear corners (as weel as the amber) when mated with the euro head lights, is that the vertical size isn't the same as the headlight assembly, which makes it look kind bad.

· Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
a cheaper option?

I picked up my Euro lights second hand in Australia. I paid $300 AUD (about $150 USD) for the pair from a wrecking outfit called German Prestige on the outskirts of Melbourne. This is markedly cheaper than the $300 USD that you get them for here. If you are interested in seeing if they'll send a set, their phone number is 011-61-3-93143344 (Melbourne is 5 hours behind Pacific time). Make sure you specifically ask for a Left Hand Drive lens (or alternatively, see if they'll sell you the headlight box without lens, then buy it here - saves the risk of breakage in shipping).

I have no affiliation with this company, so can't offer any comments on their level of customer service. Regarding the clear indicators, they sell them brand new Bosch for AUD $50 each.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.