Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!! I'm in the process of breaking down my Zenith 35/40 inat carburetors on my 1969 250 w114. If anyone else has ever done this, I could really use some pointers here! I was told that my carbs are probably clogged, but I've removed all the jets and they are clean. The float is to spec. Everything appears to be in working order. Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spent 3 hrs yesterday trying to tune mine well enough to get a strong enough idle to drive it home from its storage place. I find them awful carbs to adjust and both carbs need to work exactly the same to run well. I'm not sure I'd take that job on myself, I plan on taking the car to 'Uli' when I get it plated. I have a Haynes manual here and it was all but useless, maybe I'd give it a try with a Factory shop manual.<p>If you give it a try, keep us posted, I hate taking my car to a mechanic :) Good luck.<p>Has anyone tried an aftermarket carb setup on these cars? I know Weber made good carbs to replace factory Solex's on BMW 2002's. They were much easier to work on and performed much more reliably and efficiently.<p>: Hi!! I'm in the process of breaking down my Zenith 35/40 inat carburetors on my 1969 250 w114. If anyone else has ever done this, I could really use some pointers here! I was told that my carbs are probably clogged, but I've removed all the jets and they are clean. The float is to spec. Everything appears to be in working order. Hmmmmm.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
: I spent 3 hrs yesterday trying to tune mine well enough to get a strong enough idle to drive it home from its storage place. I find them awful carbs to adjust and both carbs need to work exactly the same to run well. I'm not sure I'd take that job on myself, I plan on taking the car to 'Uli' when I get it plated. I have a Haynes manual here and it was all but useless, maybe I'd give it a try with a Factory shop manual.<p>If you give it a try, keep us posted, I hate taking my car to a mechanic :) Good luck.<p>Has anyone tried an aftermarket carb setup on these cars? I know Weber made good carbs to replace factory Solex's on BMW 2002's. They were much easier to work on and performed much more reliably and efficiently.<p>: Hi!! I'm in the process of breaking down my Zenith 35/40 inat carburetors on my 1969 250 w114. If anyone else has ever done this, I could really use some pointers here! I was told that my carbs are probably clogged, but I've removed all the jets and they are clean. The float is to spec. Everything appears to be in working order. Hmmmmm.<p><br>**********************************************************************<br>HERE'S A GOOD LINK TO CHECK OUT:<p>http://www.jamiekop.com/<p>HE HAS THE ZENITH MANUAL ONLINE!!<p>About the Weber's...I heard that they won't fit the air cleaner housing (at least on my car) :-(<br>But, I'm at that point too!! ~Christy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Christy,<p>Found this link last night, www.carbs.net the company is carbs unlimited and they had a kit for the 230 (assume the 250 is the same) that uses the factory air cleaner. about $650 US I think. Looks like the same basic carb I have in the garage from the BMW maybe I'll delay selling it awhile and look for a mate for it.<p>Thanks for the zenith link, my cable modem connection is crap tonight and won't connect me to your link, or the one I just gave you for that matter, I'll try it again later.<p>: : I spent 3 hrs yesterday trying to tune mine well enough to get a strong enough idle to drive it home from its storage place. I find them awful carbs to adjust and both carbs need to work exactly the same to run well. I'm not sure I'd take that job on myself, I plan on taking the car to 'Uli' when I get it plated. I have a Haynes manual here and it was all but useless, maybe I'd give it a try with a Factory shop manual.<p>If you give it a try, keep us posted, I hate taking my car to a mechanic :) Good luck.<p>Has anyone tried an aftermarket carb setup on these cars? I know Weber made good carbs to replace factory Solex's on BMW 2002's. They were much easier to work on and performed much more reliably and efficiently.<p>: Hi!! I'm in the process of breaking down my Zenith 35/40 inat carburetors on my 1969 250 w114. If anyone else has ever done this, I could really use some pointers here! I was told that my carbs are probably clogged, but I've removed all the jets and they are clean. The float is to spec. Everything appears to be in working order. Hmmmmm.<p><br>**********************************************************************<br>HERE'S A GOOD LINK TO CHECK OUT:<p>http://www.jamiekop.com/<p>HE HAS THE ZENITH MANUAL ONLINE!!<p>About the Weber's...I heard that they won't fit the air cleaner housing (at least on my car) :-(<br>But, I'm at that point too!! ~Christy <p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
: Christy,<p>Found this link last night, www.carbs.net the company is carbs unlimited and they had a kit for the 230 (assume the 250 is the same) that uses the factory air cleaner. about $650 US I think. Looks like the same basic carb I have in the garage from the BMW maybe I'll delay selling it awhile and look for a mate for it.<p>Thanks for the zenith link, my cable modem connection is crap tonight and won't connect me to your link, or the one I just gave you for that matter, I'll try it again later.<p>: : I spent 3 hrs yesterday trying to tune mine well enough to get a strong enough idle to drive it home from its storage place. I find them awful carbs to adjust and both carbs need to work exactly the same to run well. I'm not sure I'd take that job on myself, I plan on taking the car to 'Uli' when I get it plated. I have a Haynes manual here and it was all but useless, maybe I'd give it a try with a Factory shop manual.<p>If you give it a try, keep us posted, I hate taking my car to a mechanic :) Good luck.<p>Has anyone tried an aftermarket carb setup on these cars? I know Weber made good carbs to replace factory Solex's on BMW 2002's. They were much easier to work on and performed much more reliably and efficiently.<p>: Hi!! I'm in the process of breaking down my Zenith 35/40 inat carburetors on my 1969 250 w114. If anyone else has ever done this, I could really use some pointers here! I was told that my carbs are probably clogged, but I've removed all the jets and they are clean. The float is to spec. Everything appears to be in working order. Hmmmmm.<p><br>**********************************************************************<br>HERE'S A GOOD LINK TO CHECK OUT:<p>http://www.jamiekop.com/<p>HE HAS THE ZENITH MANUAL ONLINE!!<p>About the Weber's...I heard that they won't fit the air cleaner housing (at least on my car) :-(<br>But, I'm at that point too!! ~Christy <p><p>%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%5<br>Here's a carb tuning link.....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
: : Christy,<p>Found this link last night, www.carbs.net the company is carbs unlimited and they had a kit for the 230 (assume the 250 is the same) that uses the factory air cleaner. about $650 US I think. Looks like the same basic carb I have in the garage from the BMW maybe I'll delay selling it awhile and look for a mate for it.<p>Thanks for the zenith link, my cable modem connection is crap tonight and won't connect me to your link, or the one I just gave you for that matter, I'll try it again later.<p>: : I spent 3 hrs yesterday trying to tune mine well enough to get a strong enough idle to drive it home from its storage place. I find them awful carbs to adjust and both carbs need to work exactly the same to run well. I'm not sure I'd take that job on myself, I plan on taking the car to 'Uli' when I get it plated. I have a Haynes manual here and it was all but useless, maybe I'd give it a try with a Factory shop manual.<p>If you give it a try, keep us posted, I hate taking my car to a mechanic :) Good luck.<p>Has anyone tried an aftermarket carb setup on these cars? I know Weber made good carbs to replace factory Solex's on BMW 2002's. They were much easier to work on and performed much more reliably and efficiently.<p>: Hi!! I'm in the process of breaking down my Zenith 35/40 inat carburetors on my 1969 250 w114. If anyone else has ever done this, I could really use some pointers here! I was told that my carbs are probably clogged, but I've removed all the jets and they are clean. The float is to spec. Everything appears to be in working order. Hmmmmm.<p><br>**********************************************************************<br>HERE'S A GOOD LINK TO CHECK OUT:<p>http://www.jamiekop.com/<p>HE HAS THE ZENITH MANUAL ONLINE!!<p>About the Weber's...I heard that they won't fit the air cleaner housing (at least on my car) :-(<br>But, I'm at that point too!! ~Christy <p><p>%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%5<br>Here's a carb tuning link..... http://members.aol.com/valueadded/maint/carb.htm<p><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They ARE crap to tune! Believe me!

I've had the same set of carbs on a W114 and also on a BMW 525 1975 - and they are hell to set up! Just believe me! PKW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts