Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300TE wagon 125,000 miles
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I have a weird one. About three months ago I replaced my fuel pump relay and my EHA valve which seemed to also cure and ancillary problem of a fuel smell in the cabin. But it has returned with a vengeance. I had the air cleaner off on the weekend and and went over the entire engine bay and could not find a fuel leak. The pattern that I have noticed is that it is quite strong outside of the car when I get out of the vehicle after driving any length of time (mostly from the front end of the car). But while driving passengers can notice it in the back seat.

-I checked the rear vent valve and it seems to be functioning fine.
-Filler neck on the inside wall of the wagon does not exhibit any signs of leakage or filler cover area.
-With the strong smell in the front of the car I thought it might be cap seal at the end of the system (their is no odor?).

So my guess is either a leak in the central vent line....
-The Activated charcoal filter has died after 125,000 miles....
-Regeneration switchover valve is dying?
-Dying fuel accumulator?

I know there usually isn't a universal short cut :) So its going through the system piece by piece. If any of you have recently exorcised these demons your feedback would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
check that the seal under the fuel distributor is not leaking. The only way to check this is to run the car with the air clean off and watch for any film on the top of the airflow body.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts