1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
That stuff seems like a miracle coolant. I've never heard of it before. Why does glycol still exist ? What's the downside ?

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
That stuff seems like a miracle coolant. I've never heard of it before. Why does glycol still exist ? What's the downside ?
It's a great rat poison.

The downside is getting every last drop of water out of the engine, pump, heater core, radiator, etc. Their lit suggests the warranty void if even one drop is in there. So, You would have to drain, flush with their chemical and push air through every part in order to be sure there was none left. and you will still never be sure.....

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
It's a great rat poison.
Not to mention pets and other wild life. We suspect our last dog died from licking A/F that had dripped out of an old Chevy wagon we owned.

I had not thought about the poison "feature" of glycol. I use a bucket part filled with A/F (to prevent freezing) and a rotating tin can with peanut butter bait above, to catch mice in our attic. This is better than rat poison or traps since the mice don't smell once they drop into the A/F and expire.

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Based on the competitors research and explaination of the Evans product, It seems like the benefit to pain in the ass ratio is too high. That's all we need in a V-12 is an even hotter under hood temperature ! Good info though.

·
Registered
Previous: 1989 190E 2.6, 1997 E420, 1985 380SL, 1975 450SLC
747 Posts
Not to mention pets and other wild life. We suspect our last dog died from licking A/F that had dripped out of an old Chevy wagon we owned.

I had not thought about the poison "feature" of glycol. I use a bucket part filled with A/F (to prevent freezing) and a rotating tin can with peanut butter bait above, to catch mice in our attic. This is better than rat poison or traps since the mice don't smell once they drop into the A/F and expire.
I need one of these! Can you post a quick sketch of how you put it together, or perhaps describe in greater detail the bit about rotating tin can?

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,338 Posts
I need one of these! Can you post a quick sketch of how you put it together, or perhaps describe in greater detail the bit about rotating tin can?
Found the diagram on net - It shows the can and axle too low - can should be flush with top of bucket so mice can access it easily off ramp. I used a stiff wire for axle - spins better than a dowel would.

I have used windshield washer fluid as well as discarded glycol antifreeze that I happened to have. Mainly because I use this in an unheated attic.

We were away for 2 months and only caught one, but at least it didn't smell! Caught several in month before we went away. Just fish them out with a plastic perforated spoon and put them in plastic bag.

Regular snap traps with just trace of peanut butter on the trigger seem to work better, in that they can be put at floor level near walls where the mice might more likely be. But, I am going to add two more buckets this winter because there are three attic areas - easier to maintain than the snap traps.

Finally some auto context - these should work well if you store your car in a barn or similar where there might be mice.

·
Registered
Previous: 1989 190E 2.6, 1997 E420, 1985 380SL, 1975 450SLC
747 Posts
Thank you. I just happent to have some used antifreeze on hand that I needed to dispose of.. this will be a perfect application for it. With our attic I'm predicting plenty of customers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please be aware that antifreeze is a deadly poison to cats who readily drink it because of its sweet taste, please carefully dispose of antfreeze so that cats can't get near it.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
Please be aware that antifreeze is a deadly poison to cats who readily drink it because of its sweet taste, please carefully dispose of antfreeze so that cats can't get near it.
Or not if you are over run with feral cats.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have feral cats you certainly do not use antifreeze which leads to an incredibly painful death, call in a local animal group who will trap the animals and remove them for you. TBH, I would not have thought that anyone who agrees with animal cruelty would be on a Mercedes forum, I would expect higher intelligence and would expect moderators to act and remove such members.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
If you have feral cats you certainly do not use antifreeze which leads to an incredibly painful death, call in a local animal group who will trap the animals and remove them for you. TBH, I would not have thought that anyone who agrees with animal cruelty would be on a Mercedes forum, I would expect higher intelligence and would expect moderators to act and remove such members.
I did not say I use it or endorse cruelty.
I shoot them which is quicker and more humane. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
I'm just glad you didn't get rid of those puppies in your avatar.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rowdie...
I am deeply offended by your previous remarks, and quite frankly at a loss that a member here would entertain such inhumanity.

The fact you even thought of getting rid of that avatar is more than enough reason to question your participation here...

:)

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
We have been using EVANS coolant in Saudi Arabia and running it in vehicles used in some of the hottest desserts in the country. The product performs as advertised. True it has slightly lower thermal conductivity than Water+EG mixture but the elimination of bubbles (nucleate boiling) create highly efficient heat transfer. The engine should run at the same temperature or may 5-6 degrees hotter. In most of the V8 applications we have actually seen temperature reduction than increment. Below are some pictures of W126-560SEL being converted to EWC.

the red mark (95C) is where the needle would usually hover when idling with air-conditioning for too long.

The question of heat transfer efficiency is not just based on mere numbers, you also have to factor in the loss of heat transfer efficiency due to layers of bubbles forming inside the cooling system. This is why with a water based coolant one has to apply pressure cap to not only raise the boiling point but also force water to remain liquid when it comes in contact with hot metal surfaces. Try running your car without the pressure cap and it will begin to overheat instantly.

here is another photo from Evans Corporate HQ. A Chevy V8 running 16.5:1 compression ratio without detonation. Should be an enough testimony to superior cooling abilities of Evans Waterless Coolant.

For those with concerns about pets, EVANS is essentially non-toxic and in LD50 test none of the laboratory rats died after being fed with EWC. Full toxic report is available here: http://evanscooling.com/assets/Uploads/De-Tox-Report.pdf

FYI this is not an advertisement post. I am an old member here and have been a regular poster in the past.
MODS: if this feels like an advertisement or offends in anyway then please feel free to take it down.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts