Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am expecting my new C230 in a few months so I have been consumed with these forums and ways to maintain the "new baby"

I am a noob to detailing and after reading so many posts that my head is spinning I have come up with the following routine and I would appreciate everyones feedback, I have decided on Meguirs based on price and availability.

I am still undecided on tire, rim and interior care and I plan to try a few different products here to achieve desired results.

Colour: White
Usage: Daily Driver
Weather: I am in Toronto so we get a good mixture of rain, snow, salt and generally bad air.

Goal: A robust finish that maintains well and obviously gives me some 'shine'

On Delivery of the new car:
Meguirs GC Wash
Meguirs Clay Bar
Meguirs DC Cleaner
Meguirs DC Polish
Meguirs DC Carnuba Wax
- This I belive will give me a good base to continue from

Weekly:
Meguirs GC Wash
Meguirs Quick Wax

Every 4-6 weeks:
Meguirs GC Wash
Meguirs Clay Bar (as required)
Meguirs DC Carnuba Wax

Every 6 months (ideally timed to the winter/summer seasons):
Meguirs GC Wash
Meguirs Clay Bar
Meguirs DC Cleaner
Meguirs DC Polish
Meguirs DC Carnuba Wax

Any thoughts or reccomendations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This all sounds good to me. If you plan on taking care of the car your self and prepping the paint right when you get it, then request that no dealer prep be done on the car. Most of the time they do way more harm than good on new cars and all the stuff they do you can do yourself.

For the novice detailer, what you have planned will do fine. The Deep Crystal system is great for beginners. If you wanted to step it up a notch in shine and protection you could consider some Duragloss products (at any local carquest parts store). A comparable regimen to the meguiars listed above would be:

Dg #901 car wash concentrate
Meguiars or Clay Magic Clay bar
Dg #601 pre polishing agent
Dg #105 total performance polish
Dg Aquawax

Weekly wash with Dg cwc and aquawax every wash or, every wash depending on conditions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thansk Benz50,

Thanks for the dealer tip, never thought about having them do nothing.

I will check into the Duragloss you mentioned although I don't recall seeing it here at the few stores I have looked at here.

I am glad to hear that the DC System is good for beginers as that is definately me. I will go with this routine, perhaps swapping for the Duragloss and see how bad the 'detail bug' hits me over the course of the first few months and then reevaluate.

Thanks again, good to know that all the reading I did on this stuff actually made sense in the end....lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
hey, the routine sounds pretty good and standard,,

This is what I would reccommend.

wash/clay/cleaner/polish/sealent/and wax (optional).

you should consider ordering products from the internet also, since alot of the quality brands may be hard to find in stores. I highly reccommend Cobra brand washmit/towels/microfiber towels. They are by far better then what ive seen at autozone/kmart, they will be alot better at avoiding swirls on your paint too.

Second, I suggest a sealent after the polish. I used wolfgang sealent 3.0 on my white s550 and after applying two coats, the shine looks good and paint feels silky smooth.

There are other brands but these are the ones ive used so far.

so far I've applied all products by hand and have not used a buffer. I also just got a zaino polish for my amg wheels in hopes of providing some protection against winter contaminents. Along with Klasse all in one for my pano glass roof. I'll update on how these products worked after trying them out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts