Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Mercedes 230 4 door sedan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we are still working with my Anniversary present, but the one question that all the parts places ask is "Is it a European car or an American car?".

How do I know???

The steering wheel is on the left.
The speedometer is in Kilometers
The temp guage is in Celcius.

VIN is #11101012074846

Story of the car is at
Happy Anniversary to Me!

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
Yuppers, that's a Euro version. Since it's before emissions and bumper issues, the mechanicals ought to be the same--it'll just be trim bits and the like that are different. She's a great looking old girl underneath the rust. Take your time and bring her back to life with care and you'll have a great roller.

·
Registered
747 Posts
For sale 1965 mercedis 225 SL runs good new tires new brakes on rear needs some body work and paint
willing to let it go for $500 can be seen on lakeside ln off east armuchee rd villanow subligna ga area
If I had seen a SL for $500 I would have burnt rubber all the way there..ha ha'
Is it a S( carburaetors) or SE ( fuel injection) because in either case you need to replace the fuel lines and filters.
A merc that has been sitting for so long will have problems caused by stale fuel.
If you contact the classic center in Irvine they can confirm where the car was sold originally from the chassis number stamped in the right hand chassis rail close to the wheel arch OR on the panel in front of the radiator.No VIN number back then.
A good idea is to replace all the brake hoses,radiator and heater hoses and fan belt.
Get the trans serviced and check the chassis rubbers .The front suspension sits on a couple of rubber mounts as these break down over 30 years.
The rear suspension has a few rubber parts too which will need inspection. Once the suspension is up to snuff,you will find you own a car that is rather sporty to drive,and can more than hold it's own through the twisty bits.
Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts