Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
c43, 280sl, s600
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having owned 2 c43's and 1 C55 in Europe, when relocating to USA I wanted to have a car that I was used to. I got a C43 99 but was absolutely digusted by the high look, the car looked as it was on stilts, and ride comfort of the car, much too harsh and bumpy for my taste. I complained to MB USA but after having met with represntatives from MB USA in NJ, they said that the car was according to US specification.

This was obviously not to my satisfaction. On an European business trip,I went to AMG in Germany and got European springs and now my car is low and the ride comfort is better than a C280/C230 without compromising roadholding and traction.

After the installation, the guy who installed the springs was extatic and informed his colleagues. When I came to collect the car there were some 20 persons begging me for a test drive.

The only problem I foresee is the extremely poor roads here in USA. Since the car is 38mm lower than standard, I might have some problems with pot holes and drive ways etc. where the cassis and/or front bumper will hit the ground.

·
Registered
SL280
196 Posts
I think you are right about the road quality. As UK roads are worsening, so I notice that ...

I think you are right about the road quality. As UK roads are worsening, so I notice that MB and BMW seem to be lifting the bodies off the ground.
Like you I have completely changed springs, shocks and roll bars, but I warn you about lower suspension and 18 inch wheels - keep well away from pot holes!
Last year I have put rims through the tyre wall. twice in our Porsche and once on the MB. I have reverted to 17'' AMG wheels as a result...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts