Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there... Im a dealer in south Florida and specialize in 560SL's.. we usually carry about 10 in stock at all times.

Just picked up on trade from Mercedes of Pompano Beach a mint euro spec 1986 300SL with an inline 6 and only 78,000 miles. This is the first we've had in many years.

Does anybody have more information about the euro 300SL's and what makes them any different than the 560SL set aside the obvious lights, bumpers, engine/trans?

MiamiBeachCollection

Bryan.

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,659 Posts
Nice car- Definately a great combination. I think you have hit on the major differences. This car has no SRS driver's side airbag. The 300SL's commonly had an electric switch which allowed the trans to operate in a sport/touring mode. Can't tell if it is present in this car.

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
Smaller straight six engine is really the biggie, it had all the upgrades of the Gen II SLs.

Euro models tended to have less options, ie. SRS...

·
Registered
300sl 1987
748 Posts
Hi,

besides engine no differences. Same options than any other 107: srs, abs, cc, jumpseats, etc.

This one looks to have the auto selector but are those speakers towards the end of the door? They're not stock I would say.

It's like the 280sl but with an M103 in it. Could be bought catalysed or not.

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good info thank you.
yes this car has the sport/touring button on the center console... zippy little car but the 560's do drive more heavy and have much more power. it appears the speakers are indeed aftermarket though i dont see an allocated position for the stock speakers so my guess is because of the rear seats, mercedes may have put them on the doors that year????

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,659 Posts
The R107 SL NEVER had speakers worth a damn. From '71 to '89 they were always located behind the grills on the far left and right of the dash. Those things in the doors are absolutely aftermarket.

·
Registered
1986 300 SL Euro spec - Signal Red/Black Eng/Trans: Inline 6 (M103.982) / 722.322 Auto
1,976 Posts
Ive got one same year and if you are looking for a sales pitch, you can brag about the 6 cylinders being more economical than the traditional 8 with plenty of kick at cruising speeds (this is not a quick car, it's a fast car). Other than that, its pretty much the same as the 560 I guess (never having owned a 560 myself).

BTW, how much you asking?

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,360 Posts
Do they have the ugly "Wart" on the trunk/boot lid?

·
Registered
1986 300 SL Euro spec - Signal Red/Black Eng/Trans: Inline 6 (M103.982) / 722.322 Auto
1,976 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
good info thank you.
yes this car has the sport/touring button on the center console... zippy little car but the 560's do drive more heavy and have much more power. it appears the speakers are indeed aftermarket though i dont see an allocated position for the stock speakers so my guess is because of the rear seats, mercedes may have put them on the doors that year????
Dude, this is not meant to be a personal slag or anything, but... if you sell (or stock) so many 107s, why don't you know even the most rudimentary stuff about them?

Stick around! You can sell some, and, who knows, maybe learn some!

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
While what I write here will seem critical, I mean no offense... Just an observation and comparison from past experiences and anecdotes. At the prices some of the 107's are listed for, I would not expecct $1000-1500/annum "maintenance".

Certainly appear to be some nice examples listed there.

Like cctoronto said... Stick around and share your finds with us. Also, the more you learn, the better you will be able to serve your 107 clientele, and even help dispel the concerns you alluded to earlier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the car sold on ebay in 2 days.. didnt think it would sell this fast.
surely enough a German customer who had brought a few of these in the past stepped up to the plate. Got himself a SUPER nice car!

and yes they ones I have in stock are usually in near mint condition or at the very least in excellent condition. there are many 'average' cars on the market with just around 100k miles as low as $7,000 but they usually require 3-4k instantly. I try to stock very clean cars that only require minimal work.

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
the car sold on ebay in 2 days.. didnt think it would sell this fast.
surely enough a German customer who had brought a few of these in the past stepped up to the plate. Got himself a SUPER nice car!

and yes they ones I have in stock are usually in near mint condition or at the very least in excellent condition. there are many 'average' cars on the market with just around 100k miles as low as $7,000 but they usually require 3-4k instantly. I try to stock very clean cars that only require minimal work.
Congrats on the quick sale, what did it go for ultimately?

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,233 Posts
Nice sale, congratulations. This reinforces my theory about the 300SL being one of the first 107 to become investment opportunities.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts