Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello al,

I have been trying to find a european repair station for the supercharger in the SLK.

I would like mine to have an overhaul as its been on the car for many years and is about time.

Does anyone have any details or contact of people that can do a full strip and recoat the rotors etc??

I have contacted Eaton but they dont reply emails or return calls.. totally useless!

Many thanks for any advice.

rob

·
1998 SLK 230
2,650 Posts
Eaton dont deal with the public directly. they only deal with car manafactures. you have to go to their site to see who their authorised partners are to do after sales service etc...

ive rebuilt my charger myself and its not that hard. when had a look at both my s/c's (current and spare) the rotor teflon coatings were 100% ok, none have flaked or become damaged. the only thing which could cause them to flake off is

1) water injection - spraying water into the rotors
2) spining the s/c at very high speeds - and in turn heat damaging the coating

if your s/c has been running stock boost then 99% sure your rotor would not need any re-coating.

ive seen what shops do when rebuilding

(this is for m62)
basic rebuild
1) replace bearing in supercharger clutch (does not apply to m45)
2) replace snout seal
3) replace plastic coupler in snout (only m45)
4) reseal snout with sealant & refil with fresh oil

common rebuild
1) as above plus;
2) replace x2 needle bearings at the rear of the s/c case

up to this point you could do the above yourself with basic tools...

comprehensive rebuild
1) as above plus
2) replace bearings in rotor pack
3) replace seals in rotor pack
4) recoat rotors if needed
5) reset timing on rotors (THIS *MUST* be correct!!!)

to do the rotors yourself you need special tools to press and unpress them and reset the timing. if you screw it up there will be big concequences! but if the rotors move smoothly and show no signs of damage, then there is no need (majority of cases)

you can find rebuild kits on ebay by searching for "m62 mercedes rebuild". saves you hunting down the individual parts yourself...

just to clarify -
m62 eaton is on the pre 2000 slks (electro clutch)
m45 eaton is on the post 2000 slks (no clutch)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ta 4 the reply, the reason i have been trying to contact eaton is to find out who is the "authorised partner" the site doesnt list any.. if you can see a page which has the partners let me know.

I have a few years ago stripped the unit and replaced the clutch bearing and the rear rotor support bearings.

it is getting a bit noisey and would like the main rotor pack bearing and seals replaced hence the question but so far have not come up with anything

·
1998 SLK 230
2,650 Posts
i found it under the FAQ page...

FAQ for Superchargers

Q: My supercharger is broken, how do I repair it?
A: If your vehicle is under factory warranty then the dealership will replace your supercharger. If your vehicle is no longer under warranty please contact one of the Eaton authorized remanufacturers below. If you have an aftermarket supercharger then it is recommended you contact the aftermarket supercharger company that produced it for any repair needs.

Manufacturer of Supercharger kits, remanufactured superchargers and supplier of supercharger oil.
1-805-642-8833 (California)

ZZPerformance
1-616-532-5152 (Michigan)

Stiegemeier Porting Services, LLC - Supercharger Rebuild and Repair
1-636-949-2275 (Missouri)

Harrop Engineering Australia
+61 3 9474 0900 (Australia)

all in the USA and one in Australia

1 - 4 of 4 Posts