Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who just got an ML in Eastern Europe and it is Alabama made. Are all light trucks made in the US and shipped back to Europe? I know in these tough economic times US dealers are trying to upload inventory in Europe and especially in Eastern Europe. There are suppose to be hefty penalties for these kinds of sales of new vehicles, but dealers are still doing it especially with pre-owned...

·
Registered
2006 ML350
612 Posts
All 3 models that you mention are built in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and shipped worldwide. I dont think US dealers are selling vehicles in the EU

·
Registered
2011 GL550, 2011 G55 AMG, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged
484 Posts
Why would there be hefty penalites for selling cars? If the customer can afford, it's a win win for the manufacturer, the dealership, the customer and the country. Don't quite get what you mean, in regards to penalties!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a friend who is a sales person. He said that MB does not allow US dealers to ship NEW vehicles back overseas because the same cars in Europe are much more expensive and takes business away from European dealers. Exporting pre-owned is OK I hear...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, when buying a new car in the US the buyer must sign a contract promising not to resell the car for export. I wonder if they've ever enforced this contract. Seems like it would not hold up in the US courts. "My car, I can do with it whatever I want"

·
Registered
ML63, 997TT
130 Posts
Mercedes Benz wants you to buy your car from a local dealer and pay (in most cases) higher prices than in the US. The "economies of scale" and lower taxes make cars cheaper in the US.

·
Registered
ML 280 CDI
17 Posts
the problem is tax! I have a ml 280 cdi that has moderate accessory. In my country we have such an high tax rate that you cannot believe!!!! my car cost me 100.000 euros (130.000 usd) I would buy ml63 amg at the same price in the US!!!!

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
the problem is tax! I have a ml 280 cdi that has moderate accessory. In my country we have such an high tax rate that you cannot believe!!!! my car cost me 100.000 euros (130.000 usd) I would buy ml63 amg at the same price in the US!!!!
Don't forget that in most European countries the quoted price for a car includes the value-added (sales) tax, which can be up to 30%, while US prices are before tax. Most US states and many cities impose sales taxes of anywhere from 1% to 9%. In Canada the tax ranges from 5% to 15%. So that ML63 for $100,000 will actually end up costing as much as $115,000.

But there is also the issue of "what the market will bear". If people in Taxylvania are used to paying twice as much for vehicles as Americans, the car manufacturers are sure to take advantage of this. If your ML cost $130,000 and 30% of that is tax, then Mercedes is still charging you $91,000 for a vehicle that costs far less than that in the US.

·
Registered
ML 550 [w164] 285kw
39 Posts
Importing a US-spec'ed ML/R/GL into the European Union might save a you a couple of thousand but does have it draw backs:

- Add import duty (10%) + local value added tax, as Roadrutz mentiones
- Conversion to EU specs and obtaining permit cost several thousand EUR
- Navigation and radio not compatible (serveral threads here discussing this)
- No factory warranty.
- A US spec'ed ML550 is limited to max 210 kmh (130 mph) whereas the European models are limited to 250 kmh (155 mph)

For someone wanting a challenge this is surely worth it, if you can live the drawbacks.

Pligs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Importing a US-spec'ed ML/R/GL into the European Union might save a you a couple of thousand but does have it draw backs:

- Add import duty (10%) + local value added tax, as Roadrutz mentiones
- Conversion to EU specs and obtaining permit cost several thousand EUR
- Navigation and radio not compatible (serveral threads here discussing this)
- No factory warranty.
- A US spec'ed ML550 is limited to max 210 kmh (130 mph) whereas the European models are limited to 250 kmh (155 mph)

For someone wanting a challenge this is surely worth it, if you can live the drawbacks.

Pligs
_Still, it is more cheap to buy
_Costed only 100 euros or so to obtain the relevant papers
_ Sold the US unit for 200 euros and bought a european unit for 650, thus 450 euros for the change. NOT bad
_ That is a fact... But in Europe, you only get 2 years guarantee for new cars..
_You are not running with 210 km/hour, since you will be paying ridiculously high speed fiines... 150 is the maximum, at least here in Greece. Besides the fuel consumption is much much higher with speeds of more that 150 km/hour
The drawbacks are less that the profits you make out of this import.

·
Registered
'06 ML 350 black/grey
9 Posts
Recently I bought '07 ML 350 imported from US. Total cost of conversion to EU
specs was 870$. This included: EU version of Comand unit, used but in mint condition,
with 2 yr. warranty incl. latest navi DVD 2009/2010, speedo dial with EU scale, recoded
display to show fuel consumption in l/100 km, ODO in km, outside temp. in C. For an
additonal 50$ I can have EU climate control knobs with C scale. All of this done by independent car electronics workshop.
When I asked to do this at my local MB dealership, they told me that they can do this
but they are not allowed :)

·
Registered
W164
251 Posts
$870 for all three?! Over here a used Euro spec comand (1st gen) alone is over $1000, temp gauges are $500, and the speedo is abt $600. Is there a way i can order the temp controls in Celcius?

Customs duties drive the cost of cars in many other countries compared to US. For example, in Russia they are based on the engine displacement and increase exponentially. Last year I paid $12K in customs duties for ML350. This year the rates almost doubled, so for example to bring in a '09 ML63 would now cost $48K in customs fees alone. Mind you a new ML63 from a local MB dealer starts at $180K and a base ML350 starts at $85K.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts