Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little problem here, I installed the European headlight onto my car, but now, my foglights doesn't turn on.

What causes foglights to go out? Will one foglight fail make both of them fail? Or maybe headlight fail, so it fails too?

Also, is it possible for me to wire it wrong when going from the 4 pins to 6 pins?

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
Schmohey - 4/24/2005 8:38 PM

I have a little problem here, I installed the European headlight onto my car, but now, my foglights doesn't turn on.

What causes foglights to go out? Will one foglight fail make both of them fail? Or maybe headlight fail, so it fails too?

Also, is it possible for me to wire it wrong when going from the 4 pins to 6 pins?

Argh, Ive been changing my headlights bulbs couple months ago, I forgot to tkae pics for the wiring. But as far as I know, one lamp fail won't caused other to fail too. They have different "jacks" so headlight fail also doesnt caused fogs to fail either. Have you checked the fuse?
About the pins, I believd it has been discussed somewhere in this forum not too long ago. [:)]

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before I changed the headlight, one of my sealed beam burned out, therefore I though it affected the fog lights? Does it affect it or no?

I'll check the fuse tomorrow.

·
Registered
1982 380 sl
54 Posts
Hi,
Get the heavy duty socket that will fit 6 pins for the headlight. I think if you go on ebay they sell them with the diagram where to put the wires in order to let the lights work properly.
Worked for me![;)][;)]

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,685 Posts
Did you check the fuses?[?]
I don't remember which fuse it is but yes, one fuse is for the right headlamp and both fog lights. I had that happen to me but on the car I took the euros off of.[8D]

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait, so the fog is one fuse, the right headlight is one fuse, and maybe the left headlight is another fuse?

After installing the headlight, my car seems to be a little more "shaking" during idle. Is this related to the headlight or maybe its something else?

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
Schmohey - 4/25/2005 7:14 PM

Wait, so the fog is one fuse, the right headlight is one fuse, and maybe the left headlight is another fuse?

After installing the headlight, my car seems to be a little more "shaking" during idle. Is this related to the headlight or maybe its something else?

As far as I know, Both headlights use one fuse. The foglights use different fuse. Please check the fuse box in the engine compartment. There must be a diagram on fuses.

I think it's funny, but I'm pretty sure changing headlights won't get your car more shaky than before. Perhaps your car is "happier" now with its new looks?[:D]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
About the shaking, did you install vacuum lines for headlight adjust? Maybe it's just excited with the new lights [:D] these cars have personality too!

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
That's what I thought[:D]

The exuberant, easy going yet full of obedience personality to his master.[:)]

Sounds like german shepherd.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL [:D]

Nope, didn't install the vacumm adjusting yet. I spent a good hour trying to fix my turn signal... the turn screw keeps on turning, and it won't hold it into place...

I'll have to check my fuse tomorrow and let you guys know.

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,685 Posts
Schmohey - 4/25/2005 4:14 PM

I'm not kidding.[:D] The right headlamp and the fog lights are on the same fuse. Pull the fuse cover and read what it say's. I don't recall which # fuse. Yes, it surprised me too.[8D]

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,685 Posts
One more thing... look at my post in "online tech help" called "European Headlights". I posted the Vacuum and Wire diagrams. The only thing is, and that diagram came right out of the Mercedes Manual, is that the wire that says "Black/Green" in the US plug is actually "WHITE". Also each hole is numbered on the plug so you shouldn't get them wrong.[8D]

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Black/Green is white? I don't recall any Black/Green.

I still haven't got the chance to check my fuse [:(]

·
Registered
1984 300CD
2,685 Posts
Schmohey - 4/26/2005 8:18 PM

Black/Green is white? I don't recall any Black/Green.

I still haven't got the chance to check my fuse [:(]
Like in THIS Diagram...[8D]

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I changed all my fuse today, and it solved the problem. Most of the fuses seemed... old. Old as in, the metal on the fuse is turning grey and has white dots on it. Don't know the exact term for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts