Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with our friend at Europa, Luis, today, and his last day at work at Europa will be Friday of this week. He is moving-on since the Gwagen parts sales are slow. I suspect Luis is sensing the loss of sales will eventually mean his own job loss. He cites the fact that Gwagen owners are more and more able to find parts from MBUSA dealers (Oh?) and other sources.

I ended that conversation thinking that Europa and this Gwagen part-source, are near an end. Thoughts?

ts

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
With the type of after sale service some of you have experienced and shared with us about Europa, it doesn't come to me as a surprise.

When a company stops caring about servicing it's buyers and the product they sold, it's death only seems inevitable. [|)]

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
BrentG500 - 4/20/2005 10:38 PM

When a company stops caring about servicing it's buyers and the product they sold, it's death only seems inevitable. [|)]
I doubt they will die without the G parts business. They have already moved on to become a Saab dealership. It's probably a small part of their business now.

I have mixed feelings about Europa. It seems they have always taken advantage of their G customers by charging premium prices. That has continued to the present with parts. On the other hand, when you REALLY DO need something, especially in a hurry, they are the best source. That is worth something.

What I dont know, and perhaps someone else does, is whether when MBUSA began selling the G in the US, what residual rights did Europa maintain? The MB dealer in Phoenix acts as if the CANT sell any 460 parts and they refer me to Europa. If there is something that precludes MB dealers from selling 460 parts, I sure hope it has a sunset clause if Europa gives up the business.

I wish Europa would respond to the "competition" that Thomas referred to by actively trying to maintain the business by charging more reasonable price markups, but I'm not holding my breath. If they do decide to exit the business, perhaps it will be a niche that someone else will decide to fill.

Bruce

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
cashieu - 4/21/2005 1:28 AM

I doubt they will die without the G parts business. They have already moved on to become a Saab dealership. It's probably a small part of their business now.
A very small part. They are now a Lincoln-Mercury dealer in addition to Saab.

A sad ending. I've been doing business with them off and on since 1985.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
MBUSA Dealers & W460 Parts

cashieu - 4/21/2005 1:28 AM

What I dont know, and perhaps someone else does, is whether when MBUSA began selling the G in the US, what residual rights did Europa maintain? The MB dealer in Phoenix acts as if the CANT sell any 460 parts and they refer me to Europa.

Bruce
That dealer doesn't sell the parts because he doesn't want to sell the parts. They don't show up on his computer; so, as far as he's concerned, they either don't exist or he can't sell them. Baloney. He's just too lazy to do so. One of Europa's complaints over the past couple of years has been: "MB dealers can sell the parts cheaper than we can." Not aways true, but there are other sources who can (and do).

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In fairness, Luis did not say explicitly that the G parts handling arm of Europa was near death. However, it was obvious that things are not normal there,i.e. sales are very slow. Scott will continue to be the contact for G parts at Europa, although I have only communicated with Scott via Email when Travis departed a few months back.

Perhaps we can encourage Performance Parts to take up the older Gwagen parts business. They already have many of the parts incommon with the G from the sedans. Extending their business into the Gwagen specific arena would seem not be too difficult. If pricing and service lived in the same house, I suspect they would have a significant following amoung both old and new Gwagen owners.

I for one am making a survey of the unique to 460 parts that I might need in the next few years to come. A casche of higher mortality interior items could be important in the future. Unusual items, like the gas powered shocks that open and hold the rear door to my 1980 Cabrio hardtop (A pair of these is homeward bound presently), diflock actuating handle knobs, and a pair of those weird little plastic dashboard heater control covers, for example.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good day to you all,

This is Scott from Europa in Santa Fe New Mexico.

We are still here and plan to be for a long time. We have been bought out twice in the past 3 years and are continuing to grow. The G-wagen business is a big part of our organization and I think we would be silly to give that up. Please call me if you have any questions. My direct phone number is 505-428-7116 I will be here to help anybody with G parts.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
europa - 4/21/2005 12:40 PM

Good day to you all,

This is Scott from Europa in Santa Fe New Mexico.

We are still here and plan to be for a long time. We have been bought out twice in the past 3 years and are continuing to grow. The G-wagen business is a big part of our organization and I think we would be silly to give that up.
Thanks for the reassurance of your continued business.

What about your support of the Europa G500's in the Service Campaign for the Harmonic Balancer on the M113? Will you be doing anything in that regard?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is our current position per Anthony Vigil, Parts Manager:

Currently waiting for the official letter form Daimler Chrysler Germany that
this was a USA campaign.
As soon as we receive the information, David Holland will review it

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
europa - 4/21/2005 2:16 PM

Here is our current position per Anthony Vigil, Parts Manager:

Currently waiting for the official letter form Daimler Chrysler Germany that
this was a USA campaign.
As soon as we receive the information, David Holland will review it
I guess we'll see what we shall see. Just keep in mind that a customer supplier relationship is a two way street. The customers support you as long as you continue to support them. Just a stupid thought! Thanks.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
It's interesting that dave holland has any involvement anymore... but that's not why i'm posting...

For those not too familiar with europa, there should be a distinction made between the folks who do the legwork and the folks who set the prices at europa. It would be nice if the management realized they might actually get more business if they went a little lower on the basic parts and driveline parts, but the people helping you on the phone probably can't change that. The folks at Europa have historically been a good resource for information as well. They have at different times entertained me to fax me wiring diagrams for the diff lockers and the radio systems where there was nothing really to purchase in the process. That in and of itself is worth some money... someone got paid to do it and it didn't cost me anything. It's worth having a few parts shipped out here to "Erik in sunny california"... to make up for it.

Maybe this is a little like public radio. As g-wagen owners if you want good information, you gotta give a little or it might just dissappear.

Maybe keep the external body parts expensive for insurance covered work, but it might help to go a little lower on the other stuff.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
ewalberg - 4/21/2005 5:02 PM

It's interesting that dave holland has any involvement anymore... but that's not why i'm posting...
Probably because Dave Holland controls the purse strings to the monies he placed in escrow to cover warranty service on the G500's they "manufactured" and sold in the US. What doesn't get spent eventually reverts back to the one who posted the funds in the escrow account - guess who!

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Has anyone used "Red Cougar Enterprises" up in Canada for parts? They service UNIMOGS and G's too. Interesting company and name![:D]

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scott, I am pleased that you read this forum, and that you responded. I think you and management could really develop a wonderful link with owners here. Dutch is correct about the two sided street idea. If you are customer friendly, the customers will come to you from long distances. I don't know who is in your repair shop these days, but just having a fast and accurate supply of parts is all I really want most of the time.

Say "so-long" to Luis. He has been easy to work with. Wishing him well.

Tom

·
Registered
1980 300GD
2 Posts
Hey everyone,
I have an 80 300GD, and a 84 280GE----have used Europa since the old dealership Dave had in the old location----I think it was in 1987----That is when Anthony took care of parts-----Always had great service and visited many times over the years on one of my many trips out west(I live in Ohio) They always took time (hours) to let me root around, talk with mechanics sales etc. As a businesman myself, I know how hard it must be to stock all that is neccesary to service all these years and models. Let alone dealing with Germany. I completly rebuild my 80 model, including many body parts and interior parts. There did not seem to be a rhime nor reason to the pricing. Some things were a little high, and some were very reasonable.----I agree that this should be a two way street, and I think if we as customers are a little patient that the good folks at Europa will respond to our concerns.-----Good luck to Luis----he has always been helpful and courteous. Scott has handled a large learnig curve very well and I think he is now up to speed. If any run into trouble, you can always talk to Anthony---A real gentleman----Thanks all for your very good comments. Taylor Hart

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Taylor,

I checked you folder and did not see any photos, but then noticed that the galleries are being repaired. So, do you have any photos of your restoration work. I am always pleased to see old G's brought back to life. I think they are worth the effort and represent value from an interest point of view, if not a strictly fiscal point of view.

Welcome to the forum.

Tom

·
Registered
1980 300GD
2 Posts
Thanks Tom,

Will post some pics when My assistant returns from vacation. I'm not up to speed on attachments yet.------Taylor

·
Registered
G320,G-Cabrio,Brabus G300GE
781 Posts
Thomas.Schumacher - 4/20/2005 11:56 PM

I was talking with our friend at Europa, Luis, today, and his last day at work at Europa will be Friday of this week. He is moving-on since the Gwagen parts sales are slow. I suspect Luis is sensing the loss of sales will eventually mean his own job loss. He cites the fact that Gwagen owners are more and more able to find parts from MBUSA dealers (Oh?) and other sources.

I ended that conversation thinking that Europa and this Gwagen part-source, are near an end. Thoughts?

ts
Thomas.Schumacher,

I have been trying to call Europa for the past week, and have not recieved a reply.

I even spoke to the receptionist there and she did not know what the current situation of the Gwagen office was at the present time, or the past few days.

I wonder if what you suggested above as come to a reality.

Van

·
Registered
57 Posts
RE: Europa

Van,

Anthony is still there. He was on vacation last week along with their head technician - Gene. I'm sure he's busy returning calls, because he's working hard on trying to find out why my G just shuts down. Anthony e-mailed Europe today to see if they can help me.
Regards,
Rich

1 - 20 of 34 Posts