Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
16v 5sp;500e wagon ;w109/3.5,6.3;560SEL;500SELAMG;500SECAMG;500SLAMG 5-sp;993 C4S;Z3Mcoupe;others
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a an 1988 euro w126 in nyc area. The car runs and drives. This car also has all the goodies including gen2 bumpers, euro headlights, 10:1 motor [ have to double check] and four position seating.

What would be a good starting point to value this car? He is planning to sell the car in the near future.

Thanks
Kushal

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Prices are so all over the place that we'd really need a lot more info to even begin to guess value...Whether it's a sedan or coupe, engine, mileage, maintenance history, general condition, any problems, etc... Lots of pictures would help.

·
Premium Member
16v 5sp;500e wagon ;w109/3.5,6.3;560SEL;500SELAMG;500SECAMG;500SLAMG 5-sp;993 C4S;Z3Mcoupe;others
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
euro w126

Will do, I will try to gather the info over the weekend. For starters it is a sedan [sel] uk spec. [so RHD].

Thanks
Kushal

·
Registered
1984 500SEL
44 Posts
The RHD will temper the price quite a lot.

The market for UK cars is limited im countries where they drive on the right side of the road.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
But!, in the back of all our minds is the COOL factor of having a RHD and this sedan has the 2 + 2 seating, which is rather rare here in the states. Would have to be checked out for rust being from the UK as the UK cars are prone to that.

That said a Gen II RHD Euro Sedan with 2 + 2 seating should be worth a look.

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
I'm a Brit, and I live in NYC...maybe a good fit for me! But I'm not really in the market for a sedan...

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
Maybe I'm underestimating the appeal of a RHD!!

I'm a Brit too but I've been conditioned to sitting on the left side so driving sitting in the passenger seat would be a bit strange.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL Black with gray
251 Posts
I asked for more pictures of the back seat and interior. I'm wondering what it would take to recover the +2 rear seat in grey and install in my 1991. Will that package automatically have heated/power seating? The car is close to my parents and could be stored there- if someone is interested in a group purchase to take desired parts, I'm in. I just want the rear seat and headilght wipers. Not even the motor!

·
Registered
251 Posts
... and I would be interested in the headlight valances.

It's a great buy for $1,200. Bumpers are almost worth that alone.
Graftdesgin - Oh, I meant the wipers/valences/etc - just not the headlights.

Are the bumpers euro? If we can determine if the engine is a high compression one, who wants that?

The real question is how much my wife will let me put towards the car.

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
yes, gen2 euro bumpers.

If its a 1988 model, then yes, 10:1, unless optioned for low spec emissions (9:1).

Manifolds, if tri-y's make this a slam dunk for $1200.

Note the SEC seats. I see three switches in the rear doors, so yes, likely has heated seats like every 560SEL had.

·
Registered
251 Posts
yes, gen2 euro bumpers.

If its a 1988 model, then yes, 10:1, unless optioned for low spec emissions (9:1).

Manifolds, if tri-y's make this a slam dunk for $1200.

Note the SEC seats. I see three switches in the rear doors, so yes, likely has heated seats like every 560SEL had.
I'm up in MA September 6/7 and could look at it if it is still available. If the seats aren't exactly what I want, then I'm moving on to other components. I'm happy with my engine at the moment, but tri-y's, wipers/valences, and bumpers are possibly in my future.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
The Vultures are circling already.

For $1200.00 someone should save it now and NOT part it out!!!

Damn!
Why do I have to be up to my Arse in cars and no money? Oh! Wait! UTMAIC's is why I have no money to jump on this.....LOL! And why does it have to be on the other coast?

SOMEBODY SAVE THIS CAR!!!!

·
Registered
1986 560SEC (Totaled 5/11) 1985 500SEC EURO
173 Posts
I don't wanna spoil anyone's fun but the car was in a flood. They should mention that in the ad.

·
Registered
1989 560 SEL ... and way too many Lincolns
530 Posts
I've been debating this one for a while. Other than the flood, this car has no title or paperwork of any kind. There was a thread on here before about trying to register a car with no paperwork in the N.E.

For at least us NY residents, it is almost impossible. To buy a RHD car with no paperwork from another state and try to register it in NY is, well .... practically impossible. But, after talking to a friend that works in the back office of the DMV, if it were to be registered (which he thinks will never happen) it IS legal to drive a RHD car in NYS. Again, NY law does not even recognize the seller as the owner as he has no proof it is even his car to sell. It sets a buyer up for alot of potential legal issues.

I have been debating picking this one up even for parts alone. But even if the headers are still 2nd gen euro, not much use for my car or much anyone else to sell to.

·
W123 Moderator
78 450 SL, 84 500sec (Euro), 94 E320 Wagon and 85 500 SEL (Real AMG, 5.4, Pentas & Body Kit)
797 Posts
Tri Ys are different

The RHD tri ys are different from the LHD ones because the power steering is on the other side of the engine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts