Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
For $325, not unless the seller is attractive and willing to pleasure me while I install them.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
That's $325 with a chipped lens, probably be $500 in good condition !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,498 Posts

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
who ever pays it is getting F^&*ed anyway.

·
Registered
Fiat 500 twinair / Mercedes 450 SL 1975
93 Posts
And if you are a purist... They are not euro. In Europe, the turn signals are located in the driving lights (left and right of the headlights). Those lights on ebay are US lights for US model from 72-73 I think...

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,330 Posts
And if you are a purist... They are not euro. In Europe, the turn signals are located in the driving lights (left and right of the headlights). Those lights on ebay are US lights for US model from 72-73 I think...
You beat me to it. They are US model. To mount them properly you would need different lower grills as they don't mount to the bumper. Lenses are still available.

·
Registered
280 sl '84 5 speed stick
23 Posts
I have a 280ls euro with the square box turn signals mounted below the front bumpers.

Just wondering...

Is it legal in the US to switch them to the head light area and is it possible
to have the turn signals to both the sq box and head light area.

Steve

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Is it legal in the US to switch them to the head light area and is it possible to have the turn signals to both the sq box and head light area.
As long as they're visible from the front, you can do pretty much anything you want with the turn signals.

And yes, you can do both the side marker lights and the regular turn signals.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
I talked to a guy at the junkyard and he also said those turn signals aren't from europe as all the lighting, turn signals, and parking lights happen in the headlights. I like the way they look on my car but it is funny that either the PO or original owner put them on. The hint that they aren't german OEM is they have a DOT stamp on them.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Non-Euro Signal Lights on Ebay

Well... I can't change the damn title :), so I'll just apologize and say... "I thought they were cool, and would be of interest..."

I think we all agree that the little "electrical box" signal lights on the US Spec are styling afterthoughts...nay, even non-thoughts.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,330 Posts
Common mistake. I have a pair from my '72 that I am redoing to fit the 500. Already have new lenses and lower grill sections.

Every time I look at the US signals I think common household electrical box. What a cheap looking addition to a beautiful car.

·
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Common mistake. I have a pair from my '72 that I am redoing to fit the 500. Already have new lenses and lower grill sections.

Every time I look at the US signals I think common household electrical box. What a cheap looking addition to a beautiful car.
I think what would be neat is to have flood lights in these NON-Euro housings, and the turn signals in the side marker lights... I read somewhere on how to replace the single filament bulb with dual filament and incorporate signal and marker lights in the side markers (like the video above). I recall reading how to alternate them like the 2nd video above, but can't remember from where...

Lost to the archive, I'm sure. If I ever get interested, I'll look them up. They would be good fodder for the Egv107 as well...

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I read somewhere on how to replace the single filament bulb with dual filament and incorporate signal and marker lights in the side markers (like the video above). I recall reading how to alternate them like the 2nd video above, but can't remember from where...
It's the same wiring, and you don't need a dual filament bulb - that's my car in the videos.

Just change the ground of the sidemarker light from the chassis to the hot lead of the turn signal. Piece o' cake.

·
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's the same wiring, and you don't need a dual filament bulb - that's my car in the videos.

Just change the ground of the sidemarker light from the chassis to the hot lead of the turn signal. Piece o' cake.
What? This does not make sense... A hot lead on both wires of the side marker light?

Is this for alternating? I need to see wiring diagram, as I am texturally challenged (need pictures:) )

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
What? This does not make sense... A hot lead on both wires of the side marker light?
It's for both. When the blinker is off the sidemarker light "sees" ground through the filament of the blinker bulb, and works. Because the blinker bulb is much higher wattage than the sidemarker light, the minimal power feed doesn't light it up. So it has a ground, it's just a ground path through the other bulb. ;)

The only thing that decides whether it's alternate flashing or synched flashing is whether the parking lights are on or off. Parking lights off = synched flash. Parking lights on = alternate flash.

I promise it works. It's worked for a couple of years now, and those are the videos I posted when I first did it.

·
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's for both. When the blinker is off the sidemarker light "sees" ground through the filament of the blinker bulb, and works. Because the blinker bulb is much higher wattage than the sidemarker light, the minimal power feed doesn't light it up. So it has a ground, it's just a ground path through the other bulb. ;)
I bet that'd play hell with the 560's bulb monitor module...

·
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Scott,

How about writing this up with wiring diagrams, and posting it for inclusion to the EGv107? Others without the lamp monitor may be interested, and someone may figure out a way to fool the lamp monitor.

Consider it a parting gift to the community :), you bavarian turncoat!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts