Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all Euro parts from Affalterbach (inc shocks, springs, anti-sways) for restoring my 01 E55 to Euro suspension & ride height however I'm surprised my dlr says his Benz books says swapping out the rear stabalizer requires dropping rear differential ( and that front springs will also be a sun-of-a-gun). General estimate is full 2 days of labor. I know this sounds rediculous (and think he's in error) but also hate to tell him to just start with a 'license' from me to take 2+ days labor out of my pocket. Suggestions? GreggT<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have replaced suspension and this is not required...more

Have '00 E55. Replaced mine with Brabus suspension. Basically shocks are custom-valved Bilstein Sports and Eibach springs(or was it H&R), Brabus front tie-bar and rear sways.<p>I had it done by an independent MB shop here in NJ. I suggest you do the same. There is nothing special about replacing these items. Typical dealer excuse to rip you off. With a lift and a spring compressor, I could probably even do it myself.<p>Post pictures when you have it done.<p>Mike Anderson<br>'00 E55 Black/Ash.<p><br>: I have all Euro parts from Affalterbach (inc shocks, springs, anti-sways) for restoring my 01 E55 to Euro suspension & ride height however I'm surprised my dlr says his Benz books says swapping out the rear stabalizer requires dropping rear differential ( and that front springs will also be a sun-of-a-gun). General estimate is full 2 days of labor. I know this sounds rediculous (and think he's in error) but also hate to tell him to just start with a 'license' from me to take 2+ days labor out of my pocket. Suggestions? GreggT<br> <p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I have replaced suspension and this is not required...more

Thanks for feedback Mike -- yours is only one of 2 I got. Over on mecedesshop.com/shopforum the tech expert had a different view and confirmed that the differential did have to be dropped. I believe it's possible the 01's have a suttle dif from 89 & 00 that make it necessary? Check out his post. I'll keep asking around, but at present I may decided to set the sways aside and do everything else but will continue to ask around --- any other suggestions welcome. GreggT<p><br>: Have '00 E55. Replaced mine with Brabus suspension. Basically shocks are custom-valved Bilstein Sports and Eibach springs(or was it H&R), Brabus front tie-bar and rear sways.<p>I had it done by an independent MB shop here in NJ. I suggest you do the same. There is nothing special about replacing these items. Typical dealer excuse to rip you off. With a lift and a spring compressor, I could probably even do it myself.<p>Post pictures when you have it done.<p>Mike Anderson<br>'00 E55 Black/Ash.<p><br>: I have all Euro parts from Affalterbach (inc shocks, springs, anti-sways) for restoring my 01 E55 to Euro suspension & ride height however I'm surprised my dlr says his Benz books says swapping out the rear stabalizer requires dropping rear differential ( and that front springs will also be a sun-of-a-gun). General estimate is full 2 days of labor. I know this sounds rediculous (and think he's in error) but also hate to tell him to just start with a 'license' from me to take 2+ days labor out of my pocket. Suggestions? GreggT<br> <p><p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts