Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Maybe - I am going to inspect and replace in the next week when I replace the entire cooling system. After that the AMG Suspension will go in. After that I am going to do the Timing Chain which Bondavi has so graciously offered to supervise my replacing it. That will of course necessitate another trip up to NORCAL. After that will be the installation of the AMG Exhaust. I have most of the Exhaust system parts now, I just want to make sure the Engine is tight before I open it's breathing up. I intend to do compression and leak down tests to see if the lower end is good. If it is, then I will search out some AMG heads and valves and lifters. If the lower end is not that great, I will consider an engine swap. Maybe a M119? If it's good then just the top end.

The guy that is polishing the air cleaners says he can polish my Valve covers to that high a finish. I have a spare set here and I am going to take them down to him on Monday. He charged me $50.00 for the top A/C cover and $100.00 for the bottom. And $75.00 each for the V/C's.

I am replacing the overflow tank and generally clean up the engine compartment. I am also planning on having a custom hood pad made with the AMG logo on the inside. One of those cool flat ones.

When I re-do the Cooling system, I intend on replacing all of the vacuum lines and connections. They are all cracked and dried out and that can't be good. I have been repairing where I can, but I am sure all new connections will make it perform much better.

After that I have to re-do all of the front suspension parts. Ball joints, Stabilizer Rod Bushings, Upper and lower controls arms. Don't know if I will do the subframe mounts as they are a bear and are in pretty good shape. But all of that needs to be done for the AMG suspension to really shine. No sense in putting all that fine hardware in and the steering and suspension to be less than par. After all this is done, in theory, it should be the exact same as a brand new Factory AMG suspension

After all the Engine and suspension work is done, I will do the Body kit. Probably by the end of Summer. I hope to have it ready by September for my proposed cross country trip in October.

After all of the Engine work is done and the Body kit is on, my focus will be the ASR and C/C and any other systems still out. My goal is to have everything as new as possible.

Well that's the plan anyways.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Your car is f'n amazing. But it looks like you have a leaky valve cover gasket...

=]
Thanks for the high praise. Why do you say I have a leak? Bondavi and AA have been all in my engine and did not see a leak. Did you guys? Well I am polishing out the Valve covers so I intended to replace those anyways.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,743 Posts
Good to see you back.
Through a member I received a MB dealer invoice, complete list / invoice with part #'s of every correct color coded vacuum line, and connector on our cars. Still need to post in he DIY.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Registered
Daily: 2000 Kleemann Supercharged CLK 430. Seductress: 1988 Jap AMG SEC Widebody
1,186 Posts
You're gonna pop a boner when you lower that thing! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
I think the "leak" is either paint missing from the VC or the light was crumby and it appears the paint is missing( light on the front of the passenger VC and darker down low. I thought it was a leak out the VC bolt too, 'till I looked closer.

BTW Glad you're back.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Looks like the repeaters should be the other way front to back.

gr J
I think I have them on correctly as the "Hooks" on the lights are usually towards the front, and the "Clips" on the backside of a thing and also that is the pattern we followed from the Braker in the UK.

But since you are in Holland and I think they are Mandatory there, do you have a close up of a 126 with them on factory installed?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,647 Posts
They do seem to be normally fitted the other way around. I dont know why cos i prefer the 'wrong' way.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Thanks for the high praise. Why do you say I have a leak? Bondavi and AA have been all in my engine and did not see a leak. Did you guys? Well I am polishing out the Valve covers so I intended to replace those anyways.
I can't see leaks on engines because I've trained myself after owning the SD for so long :)

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL Artic White, 1987 260E (RIP), 1993 190E, 1987 560 SEL Artic White (parts)
461 Posts
Here is a couple that I found, I hope Picklesam doesn't mind, I have several pics of his coupe before the accident. One of these days, I am going to build one just like it, LHD of course! LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
But since you are in Holland and I think they are Mandatory there, do you have a close up of a 126 with them on factory installed?
No no. Only in the UK I think.
They just seem like the other way around.

gr J

·
Registered
1996 C220 Elegance / 1991 190D 2.5 / 1991 300SEL
118 Posts
I think I have them on correctly as the "Hooks" on the lights are usually towards the front, and the "Clips" on the backside of a thing and also that is the pattern we followed from the Braker in the UK.

a3jeroen is CORRECT here.

These side repeaters have slightly fragile springy clips toward the front of the car and the pointy hooks toward the door.
On the outside it's flatter at the front with raised profile at the rear.

·
Registered
573 Posts
i think side marker lights / repeaters are great safety feature. they cover the 'blind zone'.

my s600 in the UK had them as standard....than i went a bit overboard and added wing mirror repeaters as well!!!

needless to say, even sleeping people knew i was turning!

anyway...i liked the look. some photos of them in action (bad quality, sorry).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Okay, well I have them on backwards then. I will see if I can correct it.

Thanks to all for the research.

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
If you like'm the way they are, leave'm.
Didn't mean to rain on your parade....

gr J

41 - 60 of 67 Posts