Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One thing I like about the modern cars today are the "Side Markers" or "Repeaters" as they are called in Europe. Some are not fond of that look, some on the fence, I like it. But not in Factory Orange as my car is 199 Black with smoked out lights F & R. And so began the hunt for either Clears that I could smoke like I did the front corners, or true smoked ones if they were available.

So my friend Snibble pointed me to the UK where they are required by law, and where they make Smoked ones aftermarket. So I ordered a pair and they came in today.

Here is a pic of them.

I still have to get the sockets, (They are on the way) and get the template for cutting the holes (Yes! I said that, the factory does it...) and then take them to my body guy to drill and mount. Wiring is so easy I can do it blindfolded.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,087 Posts
One thing I like about the modern cars today are the "Side Markers" or "Repeaters" as they are called in Europe. Some are not fond of that look, some on the fence, I like it. But not in Factory Orange as my car is 199 Black with smoked out lights F & R. And so began the hunt for either Clears that I could smoke like I did the front corners, or true smoked ones if they were available.

So my friend Snibble pointed me to the UK where they are required by law, and where they make Smoked ones aftermarket. So I ordered a pair and they came in today.

Here is a pic of them.

I still have to get the sockets, (They are on the way) and get the template for cutting the holes (Yes! I said that, the factory does it...) and then take them to my body guy to drill and mount. Wiring is so easy I can do it blindfolded.
looks cool. i like them too. makes me laugh when i see all the American cars with them! for no reason. but they do look good on European cars.

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Should be interesting.... do a Photoshop image with these on your car and post here. Curious about where your idea of placement for these are?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You Roland.

Yes David, that is it exactly!

I am going to make a template out of construction paper with my Mother's help. She is a Fashion Designer and a master pattern maker. We will make a master pattern and then make identical L & R sides and check for placement before we drill.

That's right Folks... Drill Baby Drill....

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
If you do one pattern it'll suffice for both left and right...just turn it end for end for the side not patterned. That way you get the curve of the fender well and the curve of the door, the distance off the cladding and the position of the holes. Insuring the correct placement of both markers.

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
She is a Fashion Designer and a master pattern maker. We will make a master pattern and then make identical L & R sides and check for placement before we drill.

That's right Folks... Drill Baby Drill....
Ahhhh...Now I know where your precision comes from! Bet you can draw too! Take things apart to see how they function then build it back. LOL

Guess who does all my tailoring? Yup Mamma! Only thing is I have to send them to her in NY. :(

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
The recently wrecked White 560 SEC with AMG Euro parts from NZ had them.

I like them too. Do you have the exact dimensions and what datum they locate off of for positioning on the fender? I'm a precise kind of guy. :)

I am not sure about orange or clear either. My corners are euro orange so I think it would only make sense.

Also, how do you "smoke" your own glass?

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,087 Posts

I like them too. Do you have the exact dimensions and what datum they locate off of for positioning on the fender? I'm a precise kind of guy. :)

I am not sure about orange or clear either. My corners are euro orange so I think it would only make sense.

its a bitch to light!

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
With smoke.....?
I imagine that Tamiya makes a clear/smoke lens paint, like the Yellow used to do the Fogs.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

With Taniya "Smoke Clear" paint from my local Hobby shop. I forget the number. Easy to get. After you get the right amount of tint, let dry a couple of days and then coat with an auto grade clear. I took them to my Body guy and he shot them when he was doing a job.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
However, these came smoked already:

Smoked Side Repeaters

You have to get the sockets elsewhere.

I can't believe the whole thing was only $27.00 shipped from England! I have heard people getting ripped off and paying $150.00 or more for the same things.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL Artic White, 1987 260E (RIP), 1993 190E, 1987 560 SEL Artic White (parts)
461 Posts
If you go to the Ebay-uk site and do a search for W126 repeaters, you'll find them in smoke, clear, and amber. Some even offer free shipping, I have been thinking of getting some clears, but don't really like this style. There is another style, like the ones that were on picklesam's SEC. Those are the ones I want. I've only seen them available in Australia, and New Zealand. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts