Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
My euro car came with the original plates still on it, and I've run them here in Texas for the past few years and no one (including inspection) has bothered me yet about it.

·
Registered
'67 250SL, '87 300SDL
255 Posts
They can be problematic if you live in a ‘front plate state.’
Agreed! The one you see in my avatar, I took off my BMW the day I left Germany to move to the US. No problem so far but I rarely drive that car. A few years ago on the other hand I got a $75 ticket for not having a front license plate on my C320 while the car was parked at O'hare airport.

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
They can be problematic if you live in a ‘front plate state.’
Agreed... I had a Euro plate customized using the same characters as my state's plate. I had it upfront and drove it that way for nearly a year. Did not have any problems and I've driven in front of several cops over that one year period... only to be stopped on my street and let off with a warning:rolleyes:

Hadn't put it on since...since I'm not looking forward to a $85 ticket here.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
In California it would be a crap shoot. Odds are even higher getting pulled over if your use the Toll Roads. They are specifically targeting front plate violations because the Toll fines are generated by cameras mounted at the Toll gates. I think a Euro plate would short curcuit their system. Maybe we are on to something!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I bought a set from THIS company in my new personalized plate sequence. But I think THIS company has a better selection. They are very well made and even though I am in Cali, I run them. I have a GOOJF card so I am not worried, besides it's a fixit ticket here in Cali. I also ordered one with the Cali Flag on it and it kinda looks like a real Cali plate.

I am also having a T-shirt made with my plate on it too. And they make Keychains and other goodies too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,240 Posts
Having used the company in the PNW, they have nice selection and good product but have very slow turn around and customer relations is very poor.

It took 9 weeks to receive the plates, 5 months to receive decals and dozens of emails later.... I'll be going another co. next time.

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes 560SEC
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to have the oval german plate on my old car and got a few fix it tickets with that. But I thought if I got a clone of my Cali plates I might be alright. But I guess they dont really care it's just a good way to generate cash for the state coffers.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes 560SEC
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's funny my mechanic was telling me that a lot of cali cars are heading back to germany and that the federalized look is popular back there, which I find hard to believe, specially in the old SL's

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I used to have the oval german plate on my old car and got a few fix it tickets with that. But I thought if I got a clone of my Cali plates I might be alright. But I guess they dont really care it's just a good way to generate cash for the state coffers.
Yeah, if you’re going to mount a Euro plate make sure it’s ‘period appropriate.’

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
The benefit of living in a state where there's no front plate. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
I have a few, but Ive been pulled over so many times in the last 5-6 years because of them that I only use them for shows now. I was once threatened with being arrested for running a "counterfit plate".

Here are a couple pics of mine.

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
In New Zealand you can buy legal Euro size plates!

Sorry grubby old pic

Also I own the plate AMG500 (not a vanity plate but actual legal reg in NZ)but its usless for my car LOL

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
In New Zealand you can buy legal Euro size plates
Same here, in Victoria Australia you can even get a bit of choice to go custom.

All Euro plates must start with a V

·
Registered
1965 220se w111 *******1984 300sd w126 *******1991 350sd w126
911 Posts
These front plate laws are pretty ridiculous. Two of my sons got tickets in front of my house because of no front plates, cars were parked (they were not fix it tickets either). Good thing my cars were in the driveway at the time. I guess just another bullsh** way to generate cash for the state. Cool plates BADwayz. Later

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
As seen at SoCal Mercedes Benz gathering.

I talked to the owner of this one, he had it commssioned in Germany along with the plate frame and the mounting bracket.

Expensive. But,

Look what he got.

*Hilarious.*

1 - 20 of 33 Posts