Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300SD - 321k mi
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my euro plate from a German M-B vehicle and I put that on today. I think it looks pretty good with my 250,000km and 500,000km badges (I clear-coated those 5x before putting them on).

I know it would look better with the euro-head lamps but I'm holding off on those for a while because I can't find them priced reasonably and I just can't justify putting any more money into this car right away until I've gotten at least another 10,000 miles on it to recoup some of the cost in fuel savings.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Looks good!

I had my California plate made into a German plate by a company in Germany.

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
Looks good!

I had my California plate made into a German plate by a company in Germany.
Unfortunately thats still illegal in States that require front license plates. I received a warning a few years ago but would have been a $200 fine in Ohio. Of course I was driving this way for a while until what appeared to be a rookie cop pulling me over for it.

·
Registered
1985 300SD - 321k mi
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in NC without a front plate law. Are there any issues with me driving through other states that do require a front plate (such as VA?)

Thanks!

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
I'm in NC without a front plate law. Are there any issues with me driving through other states that do require a front plate (such as VA?)

Thanks!
I don't believe so. When I was in Cincinnati, a friend who at the time was training to be a cop said that cops don't pull over Kentucky cars (don't require front plates) but could pull over Ohio if they were bored.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Unfortunately thats still illegal in States that require front license plates. I received a warning a few years ago but would have been a $200 fine in Ohio. Of course I was driving this way for a while until what appeared to be a rookie cop pulling me over for it.
Yeah... I don't care. Everyone here in California drops their front plate.

Besides, I'm planning on installing a fold up retractable front Cali plate. I have a spare window shade switch that I've already wired into the car. I have only been waiting on it to get out of paint again. It's going in to Mauricio's Wednesday. Was supposed to go last Wednesday, but wanted to go down to CnC to see Trooper6 and check out his motor. Mauricio is going to re-do my front Euro bumper, and he's going to mount my front skid gaurd and then we'll mount the plate retractor to it. If I get pulled over, as I'm pulling over, I hit the right hand shade switch, and the plate extends out and it visible. The Euro plate becomes "Decorative".

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
lol... reminds me of the scene in the movie Transporter with the Audi A8:D

I assume you're planning on doing something similiar to this...

License plate flipper

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
I got my euro plate from a German M-B vehicle and I put that on today. I think it looks pretty good with my 250,000km and 500,000km badges (I clear-coated those 5x before putting them on).

I know it would look better with the euro-head lamps but I'm holding off on those for a while because I can't find them priced reasonably and I just can't justify putting any more money into this car right away until I've gotten at least another 10,000 miles on it to recoup some of the cost in fuel savings.

Looks great on your sedan. Very stately. Did you buy the frame for the euro plate separately? I like the look of the frame added onto the plate.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
lol... reminds me of the scene in the movie Transporter with the Audi A8:D

I assume you're planning on doing something similiar to this...

License plate flipper
No, that is for the rear, and as Adam said, VERY Illegal.

No it is like THIS. Or THIS.

In the front only, and it will fold up or down and out of sight. And Legal.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Pics/info please!!
Hey Simon! LTNS! How have you been?

I don't remember the exact company who made them. I think I just Googled "European License Plates" and picked one. I just did that and got like 100 of them. I don't see the one I used. But make sure they have the decals. That is, as you know, what lends authenticity to the look IMO.

The first pic is what I got from them right when I got it all like two years ago at Tom's shop: EFI West.

The second pic is her up on the Dyno two months ago.

I set the green "Yr/Month" sticker to the same exp date as my Cali reg too. Mar/13.

The bottom sticker is the Bavaria State sticker indicating my car is registered there. My Aunt Marilyn and Uncle Hans live in Munich, so it's a tip of the hat to them

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts

I don't remember the exact company who made them. I think I just Googled "European License Plates" and picked one. I just did that and got like 100 of them. I don't see the one I used. But make sure they have the decals. That is, as you know, what lends authenticity to the look IMO.

The first pic is what I got from them right when I got it all like two years ago at Tom's shop: EFI West.

I set the green "Yr/Month" sticker to the same exp date as my Cali reg too. Mar/13.

The bottom sticker is the Bavaria State sticker indicating my car is registered there. My Aunt Marilyn and Uncle Hans live in Munich, so it's a tip of the hat to them
mclare,
Your car looks mean on the dyno rack. Very cool!!!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
I'm good...just working a lot (at VA now).

This makes more sense...I thought you had somehow morphed the official CA plate into a Euro one! But these look good as well...love the Bayern state decal!

As you can see, I currently am running a custom plate from the CA Dept of V.A. but will probably get a German one soon, but in the pre-1994 DIN format for a bit of a retro look. City code SG for my hometown Solingen are also my initials, so SG-AZ 41 works out great.
I have the original "Kennzeichenunterlage" (part number A 1238170378) that will go on at that time. I'll report back when that project is nearing completion! By that time, it will almost be time for my 250k badge, as well. But let's hope that we can compare notes at a future GTG...your coupe looks great!!

BTW for all reading along, not running a correct front plate is a $10 fix-it ticket in CA.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300SD - 321k mi
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks great on your sedan. Very stately. Did you buy the frame for the euro plate separately? I like the look of the frame added onto the plate.
Thanks! Stately is exactly the word I used to describe it. I told my fiance it made the car look like something out of an old 007 movie or something. She didn't agree :D

I bought it on eBay from some seller in Germany and it came with the black plastic mounting frame.

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 2013 C250
374 Posts
Hi guys quick related question. My old Cali blue plates are starting to fade. I know repainting plates in different colors is illegal (I think) but what if I just went over with the same colors. Still illegal?

Or is there a place where I can just get them redone for cheap?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
Hi guys quick related question. My old Cali blue plates are starting to fade. I know repainting plates in different colors is illegal (I think) but what if I just went over with the same colors. Still illegal?

Or is there a place where I can just get them redone for cheap?

Thanks!
I believe you can still get new blue plates from the DMV. You just have to prove that the car had them originally. I could be wrong but I would check with them first.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
And you can also have your original plates restored to like new cond.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SEC, 1987 420SEL, 1986 500SE
1,905 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts