Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560 sel,2011honda pilot 4wd ,08 gti the baby,91 190 2.6(sold) NA 95 volvo 855T wagonTurbo (DD)
245 Posts
i spoke to that guy who is selling them on ebay..i think he wants to much...but i might still buy them...

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
installed new ovp. car idles a lil jumpy

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2, 99 SL500 Sport
1,835 Posts
The thing I would be concerned about is whether the fog lenses came like that or were painted yellow. some of the guys in the W126 forum bought "yellow" foglights which turned out to be painted
Personally i would get the Hellas from this seller instead since he offers free shipping to the USA and Canada. RunninRebel ordered a set of Bosch from the same guy and they came in about 2 weeks in good condition. $300 shipped
Euro Headlights Hella Mercedes-Benz 190 W201 W 201:eBay Motors (item 350261220393 end time Dec-03-09 23:26:09 PST)
if you like the yellow fog look, I've read about people swapping the yellow reflectors from the original assembly to the Euro set.

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
I love that yellow fog lens...

I once saw a pair of those headlights on ebay.. The seller claimed they were off an "amg" w201 model (didn't make much sense) But he had them on sale for 550$!

and i believe they sold, i haven seen them back on sale for some time now

·
Registered
86 190e 2.3-16, 83 380sec
12 Posts
I paid about $230 for my Hella Euro lights and the euro headlight switch panel with the height adjustment switch. One of the lenses had a chip in it, but thats about it.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Are all Hella Euros have yellow fogs?
That price include shipping?
The Hella Euros have clear fogs just like the Bosch ones I have. I got some Hella H3 bulbs that projects yellow to compensate. Works just fine. The Hella H3 white fog lights are much brighter but the point is to be able to see in nasty weather conditions. I ve tried both. I prefer the yellow bulbs.

Vacuum option is easy and works quite well with factory headlights- Bosch or Hella. TYC too but Depos are hit or miss so it all depends. I returned my Depos because they failed after a week of use- the glass lens also had a lot of bubbles in them which is a bad sign of quality of the glass. 355190E installed our vacuum systems in 15 mins each car. PM us if you need help Fred

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
Yes it is replaceable. Well the Bosch one for sure. There are 4 tabs on top and on bottom that hold the glass in place to the housing. I checked it with the TYC's on 355s car and the tabs line up so maybe its interchangeable. Just remember to pry the plastic tabs off slowly as the used Euro lights could be brittle depending on how they were stored. One of mine got snapped off. Flathead screwdriver and some plastic conditioner would work best. While you have them out wipe them clean with a glass cleaner and the grime would come out from the inside. It will make your lights look brand new and gleam in the sun. I had to do this as it was fuzzy looking after I polished the glass outside. Turned out it was the grime on the inside that kept it from looking nice. Yes...car wax works on glass to make them shine and adds a water beading layer.

·
Registered
96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
1,626 Posts
yeah my dd came with Bosch Euros, but the PO failed to mention they are both cracked:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Cypress I believe we can order them from the Mercedes Benz Classic Center in Irvine, California if you are in the US. Not sure how you can source them in Canada.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Got reply back from the seller, those are LHD euro headlights from a German car.

Funny that 25 years later, than I consider upgrading to euros....LOL.

Would I have much of a issue with alignment?
Would I get a lot of pissed off on coming drivers?

EDIT: In his ad, he states those Hellas are made for the French market, but it's from a German car. But France & Germany are RHD countries...so how can they be LHD euros?

As a matter of fact, I think the only LHD european country is UK.
LHD refers to what side the steering wheel is on, not what side of the road you drive on. So LHD lights from Germany work fine in North America. The RHD lights from the UK won't work cause they'll blind oncoming traffic.
Aligning the lights isn't too hard. Just google "Daniel Stern lighting" because he has a good DIY on how to aim them.
I've had Euros for two years and never had anyone high beam me back. Adding vacuum adjustment helps especially when you have a heavy load in the back.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LHD refers to what side the steering wheel is on, not what side of the road you drive on. So LHD lights from Germany work fine in North America. The RHD lights from the UK won't work cause they'll blind oncoming traffic.
Aligning the lights isn't too hard. Just google "Daniel Stern lighting" because he has a good DIY on how to aim them.
I've had Euros for two years and never had anyone high beam me back. Adding vacuum adjustment helps especially when you have a heavy load in the back.
Thanks 355190E26, for clearing that up....confusing.

Yes, I did aim my bucket headlights following that link & the marks that I made on my neighbors fence are still there, so I am good. :D

Now when I aim these euros, I aim assuming the vacuum adjustment option is NOT there, is that correct?

Can you take some pics of your vacuum adjustment setup?
pics of leveling switch, where the vacuum is tapped from, how you ran the vacuum lines to the headlights & to inside the cabin to connect to the switch.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Yep, aim the lights like there's no vacuum hookup.
here are some pictures of the vacuum setup I took w/ the iPhone
First picture is the vacuum adjuster switch. Bought the switch from ebay and got the surround piece (rosette) from MB Classic Center for $3 (thanks to Xfreak44 for picking it up)
The switch has two plugs on the back. The top is vacuum input and the bottom is vacuum output

Second picture shows the grommet behind the fusebox which you run two vacuum lines through. One taps into the existing vacuum and goes into the top of the switch. the other plugs into the bottom of the switch and provides vacuum to the lights

Third picture shows the "Y" shaped coupler which allowed me to tap into the existing vacuum source next to the fusebox
fourth picture shows the "Y" splitter which take the vacuum source from the bottom of the switch and provides vacuum for the two lights
fifth picture is connection to driver's headlight w/ right angle coupler
sixth shows the vacuum line running under the "grating" below the wiper to the passenger headlight
seven shows the vacuum tubing route. (white tube follows OEM wires)
eight is passenger headlight connection w/ right angle coupler

Attachments

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks 355190E26 for the detail info....:thumbsup:
But someone beat me to it & bought those euros already. :eek: :(
Looks like my car will not get a face lift. Lesson learned, do not post in a public forum. :eek:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nice Interstate Battery Vent tube there 355:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
if you like the yellow fog look, I've read about people swapping the yellow reflectors from the original assembly to the Euro set.
YES, it is that yellow fog look...that got my attention. :D

So, just to clarify...you are saying I can swap the yellow reflectors from my old style bucket headlights over to the euro (Hella/Bosch) headlights?

Reflectors from older style & euros are the same (size & fit), only difference is color?

EDIT: I saw a local "WHITE" 190E with updated euro headlights (non yellow fogs) with clear corners...it just dosn't look good.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts