Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't laugh, at least not in public. I have a 1984 500sl. The headlights on high beam barely make it past the hood. I understand that the vacumn adjustment was disabled in order to comply with US law. But there should also be a manual adjustment and I have been unable to find it.

OK go ahead and laugh. Just try to stifle yourself long enough to tell me where the the little devils are. Thanks in advance

Tiehacker

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
34,388 Posts
A little confidence, a little self esteem.
A little more posting before a question is asked.
Most 1st time thread starters are trolls or never come back after the whole forum bends over backwards. I'm a little gun shy.

That, and I have no idea what the answer is.

Ha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my apologies. I didn't realize I was intruding on an elite club. What else are the forums for if not to share information? If I seemed abrupt it certainly wasn't intentional. I merely don't like wasting time. Mine or your's. Have a nice day.
Tiehacker

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
If you have the vacuum adjustment you should figure out how to reconnect it. It is called range adjustment and you can find information about the system online. I'd almost sell my lights and buy the later ones with the vacuum adjustment. Do you have an adjustment knob in the car?

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes I have the knob beside the light switch. It's labeled 0 1 2 3 but has no effect. I thought it to be only minute adjustments for load changes and that there would be a manual adjustment as well. If not then I will get to work on re-attaching the appropriate vacumn lines.
Thank you one and all for the timely responses. I really do appreciate them
Tiehacker

·
34,388 Posts
my apologies. I didn't realize I was intruding on an elite club. What else are the forums for if not to share information? If I seemed abrupt it certainly wasn't intentional. I merely don't like wasting time. Mine or your's. Have a nice day.
Tiehacker
Hardly an elite club. We are the best bunch here. We are so nice, in fact, that we are taken advantage of.
Historically, first time THREAD STARTERS, (not first time posters) ask the same question in 20 different forums and never reply with the results of the SHARED info or, say thank you.

I thought my post was light hearted, and I didn't know the answer.

Sorry if you didn't see it that way.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
I want vac adjusted headlights too.:mad:

·
Registered
450SLC 5.6 Twin-turbo
350 Posts
sorry to interupting the line but i must tell that in my taste i like the US headlights more than euros but in sweden ,,,wholy crap you never find a good pair of these now days its a total waste of time to even look for.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Funny, I've tried to sell mine so many times I gave up. No one wants them. I'm going to hang onto them b/c if I ever crash or get the euros resilvered I will want a set of lights to use.

I have heard the american lights put out more light but cannot really remember a difference. My euro lights need to be adjusted before I try a comparison. I can barely see at night with either headlamp.

·
Registered
450SLC 5.6 Twin-turbo
350 Posts
damn thats not good but you know the thing is i do got a set of you know real bi xenon at 7000kelvin light temp i whas thinkin that maby those could do any good in my SLC euro lights , and what do you think of that stuff anyway

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nobby,
I would prefer not to get off on the wrong foot so anything I have written that is offensive to you or anyone else I hereby tender my most sincere apology.

I am very grateful for any help I can get. I guess my problem is that I'm new to the forum game and can only plead ignorance. Again I apologise.
Tiehacker

·
Registered
450SLC 5.6 Twin-turbo
350 Posts
as i reed the last coment here and just can say like this , a real man tells us like you did and not the opposite and to use the other person as a trashcan. cool everybody can do wrong sometimes hey who doesent then after all. hope you enjoy and like the forum .

·
34,388 Posts
Nobby,
I would prefer not to get off on the wrong foot so anything I have written that is offensive to you or anyone else I hereby tender my most sincere apology.

I am very grateful for any help I can get. I guess my problem is that I'm new to the forum game and can only plead ignorance. Again I apologise.
Tiehacker
Jeez.......take it easy, Dude.
Take that apology back and put it in the bank.

I still don't know the answer, though.
I have adjustable Euro lights that work. I guess when I strip my SL this fall, I'll figure out how they actually function.
I thought it was just MB magic.

·
Registered
1988 560 SL (sold)/1995 E320
676 Posts
The euro lights with the adjustment level are controlled from the rotary knob next to the headlight switch which works with the vacuum system. very easy to retrofit if you have the equipment (lights and switch).

I ended up with an extra set of NOS euro lights with the vacuum adjustment by accident. Bought them on ebay 2 years ago for $275. They were filthy when I received them. Turns out they had been sitting in storage for years. cleaned them and they are mint! :D must have been take offs from a gray market SL that was federalized. Short time later I bought the European headlight switch with the adjustment wheel. Have not had time to install them :rolleyes:

·
Registered
450SLC 5.6 Twin-turbo
350 Posts
okay i see but in my case i dont use vacuum adjusteble lights , but i got a BI xenon kit lieing in my garage and thaught hell why not install them in my SLC lights so i can find my way home when the dark is falling- seriously is there anyone that tried that before.?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.