Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had a rod-cap go through the upper oil pan on my 1982 300SD (pictured) just before Christmas. It had 140K on the engine, but the history of the car was sketchy.

Anyways, I've decided to part out the car. I'll post the details when it gets warmer. Right now we've been sub-freezing for the past 14 weeks.

In the mean-time, I picked up a 1989 300SEL. My first gas engine Mercedes.

My 1982 had Bosch Euros on it, and I'm planning to swap them out into the '89 SEL.

My question concerns the headlight wipers. I know the wipers on the Euros are longer and work in the opposite direction.

Will the US wipers work with the Euro lights?

I know the US DOT headlights have the little nub that lifts the blades off the glass to ensure they don't freeze. I'm thinking that would be a concern on the Euros, but it looks like the interference will work ok.

Anybody have experience with this?

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
There are folks who kept the US wipers when they installed their euro lights, but IMHO they still look....kinda wrong. I'd encourage you to blank out the lower valances and forget the wipers-- not sure if you want to keep them for snow/slush cleaning though. Euro motors and wipers for the gen 2 you now have are pretty rare and expensive to obtain (along with the different valances).

I'm not sure how often the wipers actually freeze to the lights-- I would think that the MB engineers would have made plans for that and put little nubs on the euro lights (it does snow a good deal in Europe, as I recall)... looking at it another way, I'm pretty sure those nubs on the US DOT lights have nothing to do with "lifting the wipers off so they don't freeze." My impression of the quality of foresight and planning by the engineers at the DOT is pretty poor. I'm thinking the nubs are there either as an artifact of the glass-molding process, or they were used for something else (perhaps a way to check the aiming of the lights?)

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC, Arctic White w/Grey Interior
59 Posts
DOT Headlight "Nubs"

I remember when the "nubs" were added to sealed-beam headlights and was told that they mated with an alignment fixture so that headlights could be aimed more accurately.

·
Registered
1983 300D
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear those long Euro blades don't freeze up..

I'm probably going to leave them, mostly out of laziness, but I kinda like the clean look. They might come off eventually.

The schematics indicate to jumper the small bulb into the main headlight, but aren't those bulbs supposed to be on all the time? Isn't that how they function for the European and Canadian standards?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,419 Posts
Nup not in the UK anyway. In Sweden i think they have sidelights on all the time but not here.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC, Arctic White w/Grey Interior
59 Posts
The city lights power can be connected to the parking light switch position to enhance your visibility in lower light situations without having the headlights on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts