Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing through some old pics and came across my old Bosch lenses:

I noticed the lens pattern is identical to the Bosch lenses on the Euro assemblies currently on my car:

However, I also noticed that my 190E, which has Hella Euro lenses and what I observed to have "better" foreground lighting, has additional fluting above center line of the lens face that looks like a "secondary cutoff". This secondary cutoff throws additional light on the foreground.

So this got me curious - are all Bosch square Euro lenses the same? How about in comparison to the Hellas? Or in comparison to the round type W123 Euro lights?

·
Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts
Got some H4's but haven't converted yet. Mine look close to the ones they use in the old Cobra & Miata conversons!

·
Registered
1972 280 SEL 4.5 (sold) 1971 280 114 Coupe (sold) 1988 300 SE 2005 jag XK8
2,218 Posts
Tell me if I'm wrong but the lens pattern is different depending on what side of the road the donor car drove on. German lens would be the choice for us while English and African, Japanese lens' would direct the light to the wrong road side.

·
Registered
1983 300D
1,250 Posts
Tell me if I'm wrong but the lens pattern is different depending on what side of the road the donor car drove on. German lens would be the choice for us while English and African, Japanese lens' would direct the light to the wrong road side.
Yes, see post #2....

·
Registered
1983 300D
1,250 Posts
^^^^ this...

So yes? I'm correct?
Yes you are correct. In the picture I posted, the lenses are both for the right side. But look at the "half of bowtie" shape in the middle of the main pattern. The upper lense is a "left hand drive" pattern with the bowtie triangle pattern flaring towards the left side of the car. The lower lense is a "right hand drive" pattern with the bowtie triangle pattern flaring out to the right side of the car.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The W124 Bosch Euro lights on my mother's 300TE looks similar in design to the W201 Hella Euro lights on my 190E.

Side by side for comparison, left/driver side assembly only:

W123 Bosch

W201 Hella

W124 Bosch

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,701 Posts
Pat, here in the US we can order Bosch euro lenses that have a different USA specific beam pattern that are not "comm-blocked" at the dealer. However the the euro "Hella" lenses are comm-blocked while having the normal euro/german pattern.

To get the comm-blocked ones you have to have a euro vin.

·
Registered
1983 300D
1,250 Posts
Garrett,

Are you saying there is a US DOT approved version of the Euro lenses?
Sounds like he is saying that.... and sounds like we can only order DOT lenses if we do not have a Euro VIN.

Adding to the topic...

W126 Bosch lens.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,701 Posts
Garrett,

Are you saying there is a US DOT approved version of the Euro lenses?

Nothing on the boxing or lenses to saying so .....your guess is as good as mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.