Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560SEL Black with gray
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been given permission by the wife to purchase (!) a set of euro headlights. I do not have a trusted installer. Is anyone in the central NJ or Philly areas willing to install them with me looking on? We could work our compensation - I know time is money. I do not have tools or setup to do it myself. I'd like them to eventually be set up with the vacuum feature (and keep my current headlight washers). PM me - I have yet to order the headlights.

thanks! Matt

·
Registered
Proud owner of an Blue-Black (Charcol Gray) '91 420SEL
704 Posts
Making the assumption that you know about the vacuum lights being different from non-vacuum lights you can install the lights and then add the controls, two- chamber tank, and added lines and switch down the road.
If you only want to install the lights for now, the added problem in switching them out that is not discussed here much is the requirement for a larger wire diameter.
The lights operate from relays that are controlled by the light switch which is a good thing but being a US spec car the power wires from the relays to the headlights are a little too small because the US spec bulbs are half a$$ at best hence the reason for almost everyone swapping them out for the truly correct light that was originally intended by M.B.
Switching the actual headlights out only requires a 10mm socket, a 13 mm wrench, a #2 phillips screwdriver, and a very small flat bladed screwdriver.
If you have US wipers they will not do a very good job on the Euro lights.
I had US Lights with US wipers but ditched the wipers as I just don't need them in my area.
One thing that will help a lot is if you can find another left side lower mounting bracket for US car with wipers (or without).
If you mount it backwards on the right side it fits very well although there has been discussion on fabricating brackets for the bottom too in other threads.
You also need 6 pin plugs for your Euro lights as the 4 pin plugs won't work.
To do it correctly the power wires from the relays should be swapped out for a 10 or 12 gage wire is using US spec wire to carry the load properly. This include the ground too as it is half the circuit and is often missed (not thought of).
It takes a few hours if you have not done it but it is a "doable" job. The biggest challenge is de-soldering the old relay wires feeding the lights and soldering in the new, larger wires.
When you are shopping for the lights try to get the seller to include the donor car's plugs in the purchase.

jimm1009

1 - 2 of 2 Posts